A mechanical TrotBot walker.
Video on youtube - https://youtu.be/XorL3H8H0_k
Original walking mechanism based on Ben & Wade Vagle's TrotBot.
See https://www.diywalkers.com for more information on this, and other types of walking machines. They also have a supersized version!
Most parts printed at circa 30% infil. Some supports required at ends of arms.
All printed in PLA.
Crankshaft parts are printed at about 80% infill to give strength. Also the crankshaft pieces need to be printed in the correct orientation to maximise against torsion.
Quite a bit of assembly required. Some cleaning of parts to ensure that they move smoothly.
In these types of walkers friction is your enemy, make sure parts move easily.
Orginal linkage design was from www.diywalkers.com.
After printing a sample leg and mounting it on a dummy frame I made some tweaks to the lengths.
- Linkage simulator - www.linkagesimulator.com - modelling walking gait. File attached
- Autodesk Fusion360 - design and assembly testing. It also generates the CNC mill tool path.
- Simplified 3D - slicer for 3d printer
- Octoprint - 3d Print server software
- Motors, gears, belts and beams are from MakeBlock
- Plywood chassis panels are CNC cut using a Carvey from Inventables
- 3d printed legs, crankshaft and brackets are printed using a Rob3d printer
It is controlled via bluetooth from any phone. It uses Adafruit Bluefruit LE Connect app. The arduino code on the walker is modified to respond to the directional buttons and keys 1&2 to rotate clockwise / anit-clockwise. There is a great example project using all these pieces https://learn.adafruit.com/bluefruit-feather-robot/overview.
- Adafruit Feather 32u4 Bluefruit LE
- Adafruit DC Motor + Stepper FeatherWing Add-on For All Feather Boards
- Lithium Ion Polymer Battery - 3.7v
- 9V 30RPM Motors
- powered by 5V USB battery pack
- voltage boosted to 9V (motor rating) using Pololu 9V Step-Up Voltage Regulator U3V50F9
- M4 bolts, nylon washers and nyloc nuts
- M10 plastic washers (spacers on the crankshaft)
- 4 mm brass tube - top leg pivot hinges
- 1/4" square brass tube - crankshaft end supports