I downloaded the original files from "Printable Pocket Butterfly Comb" by techno246, whom I think is the original designer of this model. However, there're several problems with the comb, so I re-drew the comb to fix them. Here's a list of the things that I changed:
Pins & Caps:
The original design requires additional fasteners. Since I'm having problem finding the right size and didn't want to bother buying a whole bunch, I just went ahead and drew some pins and caps for it. Just stick the pin through the holes and snap the cap on it from the other end. It's supposed to be perfect match, so it might not fit if there're burrs on the pin or in the hole. Use a small filer or sand paper to remove the burrs and it should fit right in.
For some unknown reason, the size of the pins and caps don't always come out right on my printing software. In case is this happens to you as well, you can easily build them in any 3D CAD software. The pin has a diameter of 2.5mm (so does the hole in the cap), and the gap between two caps is 10mm. I use 6mm for diameter and 2mm for thickness of the caps, and I put a 1.5mm fillet at the end of the caps. Therefore, the pin itself should have a length of 12mm (not including the cap on the pin) because 2mm of it needs to go into the hole of the hollow cap. I hope this makes sense to whoever needs to build it. If not, please leave me comments so I can try explaining it better.
The original comb was way too loose, so I changed the thickness from 2mm to 3mm. This stops the comb from shaking around while I actually use it to brush my hair. However, the tightness might cause the spinning to be not as smooth, so I file down all the burrs on the handle then put a little bit of vaseline around the joints, and it works perfectly. Afterall, what's the point of making a butterfly comb if it doesn't spin smoothly?
I made the teeth longer (from 10mm to 12mm) since all of my friends are complaining about the teeth being too short. Apparently the additional 2mm made it more functional being a comb.
I also made the comb a little bit longer (about 5mm longer) since there were still plenty of rooms in the handle while the comb was in closed position. This modification allows me to add 3 more teeth to the comb.
The bottom of the comb has parts sticking out on both sides for unknown reason. I could not find any purpose to that design, so I removed it while I re-drew the comb.
- At the end, I decided to add a 1mm fillet around the comb. There's no critical purpose to that modification, only I happened to feel that it might look a little more classy this way.
I did not make any change to the handle since it is already perfect as it is.
The original design can be found by the link below. Thank techno246 for the wonderful design. I had a lot fun playing with it, and my frinds all liked it.
Printable Pocket Butterfly Comb (by techno246)
BTW, this is my first upload on Thingiverse since I just recently bought my first 3D printer. I hope people would like my modification to this butterfly comb. Please leave me comments, and I wish everyone has fun playing with it.
Have a nice day!
- Print 1 comb, 2 handles, 2 pins & 2 caps.
- File down all the burrs (especially on the handles) so the comb will spin smoothly.
- Assemble the comb and handles. Use the pins to hold them together, then snap the caps to the end of the pins.
That's it! Have fun playing with it and show it to your friends. (Chances are that they will ask you to print one for them.)