This is my recreation of the "Waterlily" portable wind and water generator. My current prototype has not been tested in the water yet, as I haven't quite figured out a decent way to waterproof the motor yet. With proper electronics, it should be able to charge a cell phone or other USB device using nothing but wind or moving water.
For those interested, the model files are included so you can make your own mods, customizations, or improvements. Be sure to share the cool things you make!
The propeller may require supports for some users, but I personally didn't need them to get a nice print.
After printing, only a few things are required to get a functioning wind/water turbine. 1st, a motor with 24mm outer diameter must be inserted into the bottom mount. Once that is done, the propeller can be slipped onto the shaft, maybe with a dab of glue if needed. Once that is done, the crossbar support can be glued in at the top. It's orientation doesn't really matter, but it generally looks best lined up with either of the bottom crossbeams. This doesn't need to be pushed down particularly hard, just enough to prevent the propeller from spinning off center.
Then comes wiring, which isn't very hard in this case. 1st, you will need a boost converter to boost the lower voltage up to 5v, so a charger can use it.
(this looks like it should work, there are other models if you need a higher current limit: https://www.amazon.com/Yeeco-Converter-Regulator-Directive-Ultra-small/dp/B014LX94IU/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1494553944&sr=8-6&keywords=5v%2Bboost%2Bconverter&th=1).
You will want to wire up + to + and - to -. This isn't entirely obvious on the motor side, so spin the propeller while it's hooked up to a multimeter and check the polarity. That's it! You're done and ready to go!*
If you are going to use this in running water, you might want to figure out a way waterproof the electronics, If you want them to work that is.
Side note. If you want the motor I am using right now, this is what I have found:
This model was designed around I motor I had that I knew worked, and an amazing propeller I found made by the user "dreyfusduke". It is an amazing model, and what really makes this thing work. After I had my starting parameters, I built a shell around the components in a shape that somewhat resembled the Waterlily, just because that's what I wanted to make it look like.
For anyone interested, the blender files have been included in the download, so anyone adventurous enough can give it a go. Modify it to your heart's content, and maybe give me a suggestion if you made a improvement that you think should be standard.