We all know how much hamsters love to run! They can spend the whole nigh on their wheels, and not all wheels are quiet enough to allow us humans to sleep without disruptions... :)
I tried few different wheels, and found that the "Silent Spinner" works well:
However, through the night, the wheel can get misplaced (especially if it's placed on a soft surface, i.e. carefresh) and result in the wheel hitting side of the cage or other elements of hamster furniture.
Worse of all, it may even fall on your hamster and scare him/her...
This is why I designed this mount:
- it can be mounted between the bars of most popular cages (spacing between bars: 0.5 inch),
- it's sturdy, won't wiggle and cause additional noise,
- it supports different wheel heights (depending on the depth of your base, your wheel may be mounted higher or lower)
- it's easy to quickly remove the wheel for cleaning - just slide it to the side and it comes right off,
- and most of all - it will keep the wheel stable in place, so your happy hamster can be training for that next marathon!
Note that this design works perfectly with the 8.3" wheel, it won't work with smaller sized wheel, and may or may not work with larger (I haven't tried have the 12" inch one). I find the 8.3" size best for Syrian Hamsters.
You'll need zip ties to mount it to the cage.
And please share a photo of your happy hamster if you make one of those :)
For more interesting projects, please visit my blog: