I got bored with having smooth, undetailed walls for items, and tried out the displacement modifier with Blender. Requires some heavy surface subdivision and a bit of UV mapping.
To do this on your own, you need an UV mapped model, a displament map (you can just use any image for that) and you need to add a subdivision and a displacement modifier to the object in blender.
The results speak for themselves, but the 100MB stl files take a while to slice, and even longer to print. About 30 hours of printing time at 0.08mm layer height.
The object prints in 3 parts, the decorative and functional lids are separate pieces.
I used common 6mm airsoft balls as bearings.
This is a true torture test for a lot of printers, as it takes very long with huge file sizes, but the results are superb.