Loading

Big airflow semi-circular fan duct for Anet A8

by Manthos, published

Big airflow semi-circular fan duct for Anet A8 by Manthos Jun 5, 2017
2 Share
Download All Files

Thing Apps Enabled

Order This Printed View All Apps

Contents

Tags

Liked By

View All

Give a Shout Out

If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.

Print Thing Tag

Makes

Thing Statistics

2190Views 603Downloads Found in 3D Printer Parts

Summary

June 6, 2017: Updated version 1.2: Simplified and lighter design. Now just 6gr.
June 5, 2017: Updated version 1.1: Slightly simplified and smoothed revision.

Following a short research, I found the the design by Lokster is considered the most effective, so I downloaded and started improving based on Lokster's basic geometry.
The improvements in this design are:
a. Bigger airflow - by increasing the duct cross-section & enlarging the air holes.
b. Better air distribution - by installing internal air guides to distribute air equally to all holes.
c. Better air direction - by adding air nozzles to point blow the nozzle and avoid air flow to the hotend.
d. Easy printing - no supports required.
Being printing PLA with it ever since, with great results.
Great for printing at high speeds and/or layer heights and/or temperatures, as it provides the airflow to cool the big flow of PLA.
Please print the duct slow (to achieve smooth internal surfaces) and DO NOT use rafts or supports!
Printed mine on translucent PLA - very bad for showing the design, but helps a lot with the led strip I installed just above it...

Print Settings

Printer:

ANET A8

Rafts:

No

Supports:

No

Resolution:

0.16

Infill:

100%


Notes:

DO NOT use rafts or supports (maybe just on the outside back side), they are not needed and will be impossible to remove (from inside or through holes) without messing the design.

More from 3D Printer Parts

view more

All Apps

Auto-magically prepare your 3D models for 3D printing. A cloud based 3D models Preparing and Healing solution for 3D Printing, MakePrintable provides features for model repairing, wall thickness...

App Info Launch App

Kiri:Moto is an integrated cloud-based slicer and tool-path generator for 3D Printing, CAM / CNC and Laser cutting. *** 3D printing mode provides model slicing and GCode output using built-in...

App Info Launch App
KiriMoto Thing App

With 3D Slash, you can edit 3d models like a stonecutter. A unique interface: as fun as a building game! The perfect tool for non-designers and children to create in 3D.

App Info Launch App

Print through a distributed network of 3D printing enthusiasts from across the US, at a fraction of the cost of the competitors. We want to change the world for the better through technology, an...

App Info Launch App

Quickly Scale, Mirror or Cut your 3D Models

App Info Launch App

3D Print a wide range of designs with Treatstock. Easy to use tools to get the perfect result. The global 3D printing network that connects you with high-quality and fast working print services nea...

App Info Launch App

If you load the STL file up in MeshMixer and click inspect, there are a lot of errors. The tips are not joined to the main body. The duct that attachs to the fan has non manifold edges. S3D is doing the right thing with the model, its just that the model has errors in it.

Does not slice correctly with simplify 3d 4.0

Well I actually sliced and printed many times in Cura, Slic3r and Craftware, with various settings, but don't own a Simplify.
Can you please provide a description or a screenshot of the problem you are facing?

Seen what you mean, you are right, but it seems to be a Simplify3D bug, in all other software is slices and prints perfectly, so there is not much I can do about it...

Thanks anyway.....printed in repetier (Slic3r) fine

Happy to hear that. Please share your experience using it

Looking veery god so far, i printed the following two things with the spaceship fan duct https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2088006 and with this one https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2298057 for overhang testing and https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2219103 for stringing (one time with 3s layertime and one time with 0 min layertime), the overhang test was oriented this way https://picload.org/image/ricwgcwi/img_20170607_0059181.jpg
I didnt do a pid tune for the Big Airflow Duct, but temperatures were a good bit more stable with it despite.
In the following picture is the comparison of the 3 prints with each duct. https://picload.org/image/ricwgigr/fantest.jpg
I went for high speed and temperatures to really test the fan duct.

This fan duct already seems superior, if you could just move the whole section with the airholes half a cm towards the backside/nozzle (basicaly make it longer, shown in this picture https://picload.org/image/ricwgiar/fantest2.jpg ), cooling on the backside of the print surely would improve further, because cooling is very uneven now.

For now i will continue using the spaceship, but this one has the potential to become the best one.

Anet A8 Fan Duct Spaceship edition
by paul0
Overhang Test
Ultrafast and economical stringing test

Thank you for the interest and effort. Really interesting results indeed.
This is an extreme test (75mm/s & 80% fan speed) BUT extreme tests show the room for improvement and I thank you for that.
I repeated your test at 50mm/s, 100% fan and 200C with very good results.
Just displacing the nozzles to the back would mess with the hotend cabling, so much more modifications would be required.

Looks promising, going to print ir right now

Both Slic3r and Cura 2.5 want to add a hole on one side of your design. Strange...

You are right. My mistake. Uploaded wrong version.
Corrected it, you can print with confidence.
Added some more photos too.

Top