XY Table for drilling
by _ro_, published
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
This is an XY table for accurate drilling of circuit boards and other items.
It consists of 4 printed parts, 8 skate bearings, 4 lengths of M8 studding, 20 M8 nuts, a piece of 120x120x5mm perspex or wood and 2 sets of timing belts & pulleys (use something like http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1362 or http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:867)
Have a look at the "xytable.aoi" file included here. This in an Art Of Illusion file that contains the complete construction for this item, move stuff around and see where it all goes!
There are plenty of 3D renderings to go with the following instructions, each component is colour coded. Here's the key for identifying components:
Yellow: timing belt pulleys (8mm hole)
Green: M8 studding and nuts
Red: self tapping screws (long enough to pass through whatever top you use)
Dark Grey: Skate bearings (22mm od, 8mm id)
Blue: Printed clamps for top
Pink: Printed Y assembly
Light Grey: Printed X assemply
Step by Step
1) Print X assembly (as in XYbottom.stl) and insert skate bearings into the 4 holes (a little epoxy might be needed to secure them)
2) Print Y assembly (XYtop.stl) and insert skate bearings in the large holes (as in step 1) and insert a M8 nut in both the smaller holes in the lower part of the assembly (see 2.jpg)
3) Place Y assembly on top of X assembly and run M8 studding through opposite bearings in the X assembly, threading the studding through the nuts in the Y assembly. Thread on an M8 nut either side of each bearing in the X assembly and tighten (see 3.jpg)
4) Print off 2 clamps (clamp.stl) and insert a M8 nut into each hole (again using epoxy if needed.
5) Run M8 studding through each set of opposite bearings in the Y assembly making sure the clambs are threaded on in the middle and tighten a nut onto either side of each bearing (see 5.jpg)
6) Drill holes on your perspex or wood top to match the positions of the clamps and attach the top to the clamps using 2 self tapping screws (see 6.jpg)
7) Attach pulleys and belts to the end of each piece of studding and hold in place with another M8 nut tighetened on the end (see 7.jpg)
Now, when you turn each pulley the belt should move the other pulley in the set and move the table.
Each revolution of a pulley will move the table by 1.25mm.
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
XY Table for drilling by _ro_ is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is not allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving _ro_ a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure _ro_ would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).