Featured In These YouTube Videos:
Lifting 300LBS & assembly https://youtu.be/b6cDOyxub8w (The anvil actually weighs 160)
- I suggest that you try printing one of my other more recent gearsets before attempting to print this one because of the fact that it takes nearly a full spool of plastic to complete. If you have good luck and all the clearances seem right on a smaller gearbox of mine it's more likely that you will not have to print this one twice.
- Do not try to make this gearbox smaller unless your using a really tiny nozzle (and super accurate printer) or SLA, the size of the gear teeth on ring gear #2 is already the limiting factor for how much torque it can handle, and if it was much smaller, an FDM printer would not be able to print them decently.
6/11/17- Tested at 57LB-FT (some might call em foot pounds) which was 300LBS @2.28" off center with 300LBS of weight on the output, it held up really well, still no sign of failure except I accidentally broke my special tool, but that can be replaced with a socket. More testing to come.
How This Works
- If you're using the included mounting apparatus, and mounting the gearbox with a rod through the 7/8" holes in the mounts, then rings #1 and #3 will be held stationary, and ring #2 will be the output.
If you were to design a custom mount for this and it held Ring gear #2 stationary, then ring gears #1 and #3 would be the output, and it would be wise to interconnect them with whatever you are mounting this in. If you do that the gear ratio will no longer be exactly 160:1
- 160 Turns of the input sun gear will result in ring gear #2 making one full rotation.
- This gearbox can not be back-driven, every piece of plastic on it will snap before you get the input to turn. I will test it very soon.
- Three 16 inch (408mm) long 8mm diameter linear rods. (48 Inches total) (order 2 Of this item and you'll be set)
- For the mounting apparatus you need 4.5 mm BB's for a BB gun (about 156 of em)if you wish to put load on this gearbox
160 to 1
Other Important Info:
Show Your Work!
- Make a "make" and show everyone what you made! (make? :0) Everyone will thank you for it!
For More Cool Projects and Upgrades, Don't forget to Follow Me on Thingiverse and Subscribe to my Youtube Channel
Gear Down For What?
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.