Loading

SCT-2 (Scout Walker Mech)

by filipturz, published

SCT-2 (Scout Walker Mech) by filipturz Jun 11, 2017

Liked By

View All

Give a Shout Out

If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.

Print Thing Tag

Makes

Thing Statistics

5386Views 1731Downloads Found in Sculptures

Summary

Something else entirely today.

This is a walker mech/suit of extremely powerful armour. Kitbashed from various little Blender greeblies I made for various other projects. Split into 6 separate parts to allow some customization.

The inspiration came from seeing Nick Carvers (kudos) concept art. I'm also building a custom SLA rig that I'll test using this model. Maybe, if it turns out well, a tabletop mech-based game? (Weta Workshop did something similar and it looks stunning, check it out!)

If anyone is willing, I encourage you to design your own weapons, bodies, legs - let's make it fun.

Print Settings

Printer:

3DGence ONE

Rafts:

Doesn't Matter

Supports:

Yes

Resolution:

120 micron

Infill:

10%


Notes:

Support - YES. Very much so. One component - the hatch guard rails - will probably fail to print due to it being ridiculously thin.

Post-Printing

You'll have to be careful while removing the support structures. There are lots of them and there are bits that could easily be torn with them.

Citadel paints and washes are probably the easiest way of painting. Since those were the colours I had, the whole thing ended up sporting a danish flag, for reasons apparent to exactly noone.

How I Designed This

General info

Same old, same old - Blender and LOTS of boolean operations. It's actually really effective - block out your design, bevel, chamfer, knife. Pepper with greeblies (boolean difference and union) Remarkably fun method, but can produce awful meshes. This was run through Netfabb Basic and sliced in S3D - looks OK.
This was produced in 5 hours total.

More from Sculptures

view more

All Apps

Auto-magically prepare your 3D models for 3D printing. A cloud based 3D models Preparing and Healing solution for 3D Printing, MakePrintable provides features for model repairing, wall thickness...

App Info Launch App

Kiri:Moto is an integrated cloud-based slicer and tool-path generator for 3D Printing, CAM / CNC and Laser cutting. *** 3D printing mode provides model slicing and GCode output using built-in...

App Info Launch App
KiriMoto Thing App

With 3D Slash, you can edit 3d models like a stonecutter. A unique interface: as fun as a building game! The perfect tool for non-designers and children to create in 3D.

App Info Launch App

im working on rules for a mechgame and this as well as your spider walker jumped out at me as pieces for rules testing. Im just showing this out there that if "packs" showed up with different hulls, weapons, arms legs etc, I wouldn't be angry. These are by far the most interesting of the work you have uploaded and I have my fingers crossed for more!

I'm seeing an issue with the left arm. Meshmixer is telling me that there's a non-manifold error in it. Anyone else get this too?

Probably the first thing I found on Thingiverse that I wanted to print.. I tried it at 100% scaling before learning about how supports work.. After getting the swing of things on my Powerspec (Wanhao) Duplicator i3+, I thought I'd try printing this one again. I upped the size to 150% and that helped a bunch on the small parts.. It might be due to the .8mm nozzle my second hand printer came with, or my settings, but a few of the delicate structures were torn off.. Definitely an exercise in cautious support trimming! I'll be going back and changing out the hoses on the autocannons with black hair tie elastics. I think they'll give it the proper hose look. I found it printed best with the parts in their original orientation.. I printed a leg laying flat and.. ugh.. I did print two of the right arm (one mirrored) so it would look balanced.. I rotated an arm so that the barrel was horizontal to the print bed and it worked out pretty well.. That's, of course, the one I ripped out hoses accidentally so.. maybe I should have also printed that one the way it was.. Lots and lots of detail on this model! A set of good X-acto blades and probes is wise.. (Mine are the Harbor Freight kit, the blue one with all the blades and probes..) I'm having some trouble fitting the legs properly-- they have a conflict on the mounting stub, so I'm going to try trimming the stub so they fit a bit more snug. Same with the autocannon arms.. I broke the tabs off one side before realizing the arm was actually bottoming out on the stud.. I'll try drilling the hole a bit so it fits more flush.. Or, perhaps some hot glue.. Anyway, just a great design! Prints awesome in Hatchbox silver PLA.. Pics when I finish printing the base and get it mounted.. I don't even think I'll paint this one..

Yep - this one is hard. 0.8mm nozzle is waaaaay overkill for that - I used 0.3. And the stubs at the back of the legs are meant to be cut at desired length - so that it might be glued in a desired position. But, given a fine-tuned printer and some experience, actually isn't that hard. One has to remember where all the fiddly bits are buried in the supports and you're golden. The movement of the arms is restricted in one case, that is correct. Modify away, if you dare!

Super cool to get a reply from the creator! I need to look into how easy it is to swap nozzles on these i3+ style printers.. I know there's a ton of upgrades possible on these things.. I understand now how the leg-limiting nubs work now.. Makes sense! Thanks!

Very nice detail and excellent job on splitting the model up.

Top