Hey! This thing is still a Work in Progress. Files, instructions, and other stuff might change!
Shapespeare's Infinite Resolution 3D Scanner - Printed Parts and Software Remix
by walter, published
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
Whitney Potter, a.k.a. Shapespeare, a.k.a. cohost of 3D Printing Today Podcast, created an Arduino driven photo capture system for photogrammetry and published an Instructable on how to build your own. You can find all the information on building, wiring, parts, etc in the original post. The parts here will make more sense after reading that post.
This post just contains alternate printed parts and software:
- a case for the Arduino and LCD
- a clip to mount the EasyStepper driver board on the Arduino
- rotating platform for use with Nema 14 or 17 motor
- modified software
Parts in the picture:
- Arduino Mega 2560* - The case is designed around the Elegoo version with full size USB port, I'm not sure how much variation there is in these boards. If buying a new one, I'd avoid the boards that require installing unsigned USB drivers.
- Sainsmart LCD*
- EasyDriver Stepper Motor Driver*
- NEMA 14 or 17 motor
- 3 or more 623ZZ bearings*
- M3 Screws
See the pictures for how the stepper drivers is mounted, the motor driver pins are mounted to the back side of the board and it's clipped in place.
The case folds around the LCD and Arduino, and is held together by two short flathead M3 screws. The buttons need to be fairly loose, try scaling them smaller if they're too tight to operate each button independently.
The motor platform comes in Nema 14 and Nema 17 sizes (I haven't tried the Nema 17 version. The base and bearings are optional, and are really only needed for heavy objects. It has a dozen bearing mount points to allow for different configurations.
I switched a couple of the buttons and changed a few other things in the code. The version I modified is included in the scanner_firmware.zip file. I expect to make more changes to the software when I have a chance to do more scanning. The changelog is below:
- save number of steps to EEPROM when starting a scan
- swap controls (UP/DOWN for rotation without trigger, RIGHT to change number of steps)
- display amount of rotation in degrees
- tweaks to display text
- fix issue with postWait state not reached
- fix display refresh / crawl issue
- refactoring and reformatting
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Shapespeare's Infinite Resolution 3D Scanner - Printed Parts and Software Remix by walter is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is not allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving walter a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure walter would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).