UPDATE 7/6/17 Couple of improvements for the speed loader. First, I added grooves to the bottom of the body to assist the center shaft insertion without jeopardizing the strength of the detent's flexibility. Now you can very easily guide the detents into the holes in the body without weakening the "clicking action". The shaft itself has also been beefed up around the flexing area, and the bottom feet have a tighter gap. This has also helped cure the issue of the shaft being able to turn a full 360 degrees within the body when to much force was applied. The detents should now only be able to travel the originally intended 30 degrees. I had to do a little clean up on my first layers of the body and the gap in between the center shaft's feet, but I am extremely impressed at the outcome. Much better than the original shafts locking and clicking ability.This new shaft will have to be used with the new body. I think if you try to put it into the old body, it just won't fit, but nothing says you can't cut your own guide grooves into the bottom of the old body to accept the new shaft. If you experience the detents not clicking from open to close, simply cut some of the gap away in between the feet of the center shaft. I'm trying to keep tolerances tight so the speed loader will last a long time, but I know not all of us have the same printers, or use the same settings. So always make sure you trim, and test before you glue! Hopefully here soon, we won't have to glue any more. That way parts will be easily replaceable if needed. Enjoy, and remember that comments and suggestions are always welcome.
Speed loader for the Ruger SP101 .327 caliber revolvers. This is designed to be 100% printed, no springs or ball bearings needed for assembly. Also no supports needed either, the parts are simply glued together once your happy with the release of the rounds. (some trimming/ sanding may be required for proper fit. I also used a 3/8 drill bit "by hand" to clean up the holes.) I used PLA for this print with good success. When inserting the shaft with the detents on the sides, it is best to line up the detents with the corresponding holes inside the body. Constant removal of the shaft, or improper assembly can cause the PLA to lose some strength, weakening the "clicking action". Another material that's made to flex without breaking may be a better choice for the center shaft. I made this loader with a counter clockwise release, and plan on making a few tweaks down the road. Like having all the pieces snap together instead of having to use glue, and also making a better detent system. But for right now, I'm enjoying mine, they seem to work fairly well. Even better once you start using them more and the plastic breaks in.