This is a configurable, parametric medical ID wristband that includes the Star of Life (with Rod of Asclepius) and a short message on either side to help advertise a medial condition that the wearer has. In the photo, the bracelet says "ALLERGIC" on one side and "TREE NUTS" on the other, but any combination of the following may be easily selected: ALLERGIC, ALLERGY, AUTISM, BEE/WASP, CHRONIC, DAIRY, DIABETES, EGG, INSULIN, LATEX, MILD, PEANUT, PENICILLIN, SEAFOOD, SEVERE, TREE NUTS, WHEAT.
The bracelet itself is also configurable. Just measure the width and thickness of the wearer's wrist, and tweak the sizes and characteristics of the band, star, and text, and the OpenSCAD file will render both the flat wristband, and a wrist form that you can use to shape the wrist band for a perfect fit.
1) Extract the files into a single directory and open with OpenSCAD.
2) Tweak the parameters below, render, and print. The default settings display "ALLERGIC" and "TREE NUTS" and is sized to fit my five year old.
3) Secure the flat bracelet to the wrist form so that the Star of Life is in the middle, and carefully heat and bend the bracelet around on both sides. I've had success heating the bracelet while rolling over it on a desk.
4) Paint or use a Sharpie to color the background of the Star of Life, and the fronts of the letters for better visibility.
- wristWidth: The width of the wrist (side to side, wider than thickness)
- wristThickness: The thickness of the wrist (top to bottom)
- play: Millimeters of "play" to be added to wrist -- so it's not too tight
- bandLength: The total length of the wristband, or zero to calculate automatically
- bandWidth: The width of the band (excluding the cross)
- bandThickness: The thickness of the band (excluding text and cross)
- borderWidth: The width of the band border, inside which the text is placed
- textThickness: The thickness of the text
- textVOverlap: The distance the text overlaps the border on the top and bottom
Star of Life-related parameters
- starSize: The size (height/width) of the Star of Life
- starHeight: The thickness of the Star of Life
- starSymbolEmboss: The distance the Rod of Asclepius symbol is embossed
Parameters related to the printed text
- leftText: The text option from the list below to show on the left
- rightText: The text option from the list below to show to the right
Currently you define any two of the following: ALLERGIC, ALLERGY, AUTISM, BEE/WASP, CHRONIC, DAIRY, DIABETES, EGG, INSULIN, LATEX, MILD, PEANUT, PENICILLIN, SEAFOOD, SEVERE, TREE NUTS, WHEAT
- includeWristForm: Whether or not to render the wrist form
- includeWristBand: Whether or not to render the wrist band
- distanceApart: Render the objects this distance apart