****Many of you asked, so here it is, the Strongback is now available here! https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2779030
****The Falcon Heavy Expansion Kit is now available here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2478927
***V2 of the landing leg has now been uploaded. It has been redesigned for easier and more consistent printing.
This is a detailed model of the SpaceX Falcon 9 Rocket. It includes the following:
- First stage with landing legs that lock into place.
- Grid finds that fold and rotate.
- Detachable interstage.
- Detachable second stage with an attachment point for your own satellites!
- Interchangeable payload. Attach either the payload fairings or dragon cargo capsule to the top of the second stage.
- Dragon cargo capsule with detachable trunk, side panels, solar panels, and nose cone cover.
Assembly (See pictures for clarification of part placement):
- Glue all four components of the first stage together. There are posts and slots on each piece as a guide. Piece 1 goes on the bottom and 4 on the top.
- Attach 4 landing leg struts to part 1 of the first stage. The hooks will snap onto the cylinders that are in each of the four cutouts on the first stage.
- Attach first stage engines to the bottom of the first stage. They will snap in place but you can also add some glue.
- Attach 4 landing legs to the first stage engines using the landing leg axles. Add a small amount of glue to the end of each axle to glue it to the landing leg.
- Attach 4 grid fins to 4 grid fin connectors using the grid fin axles. Add a small amount of glue to the end of each axle to glue it to the grid fin connector. These connectors snap into place on part 4 of the first stage. There are four small holes at the top of this piece for the grid fins.
- Glue parts 1 and 2 of the second stage together. Make sure that the ridge on the sides of each piece is aligned.
- Glue the second stage engine onto the bottom of second stage part 2. The post will fit into the hole on the bottom of the stage.
- All other pieces are detachable. The interstage, second stage, payload fairings, and Dragon trunk all attach by inserting the hooks into the previous stage and gently twisting the piece clockwise.
- Print the landing legs and any pieces with the attachment hooks with at least three perimeters to strengthen them.
- Use supports for all pieces. Avoid putting supports underneath the twist hook attachment points as they are hard to remove.