I've made some minor modifications based on my own usage of the spool that I've uploaded here under the filenames beginning with "d6printspool4". Here's a list of changes:
- Changed spool body indent to print without infill causing constriction of the tube.
- Made reinforcement shaft slightly shorter.
- Increased the size of the retaining nut to make it easier to grab when reaching around printer.
All of the version 4 parts should work fine with the version 3 parts, so I split them into separate STL files. Make a whole new one, or retrofit your old one as desired. Enjoy!
After making/using my printed bearing D6 filament spool holder for 8 months, the internal shaft sheared and I set about making an improvement. In reality, the bearings didn't seem to add all that much, and made the parts far more complicated to print. Thus, my new filament spool holder.
The body is shaped to provide a bearing-like surface for the interior of the spool which works really, really well. Also, there's more room for a much larger and stronger central shaft to provide print strength in a horizontal direction. This is much more solid than my previous spool holder.
Finally, I added a screw-on cap to replace the simple pin in the previous version, which is also a great improvement when changing filament.
Hope you like it!
20% infill with 3 .4mm perimeters provides more than enough strength. Additional infill should not be necessary.
Almost any stiff filament (PLA, ABS, PETG, Nylon, etc) should work fine.
Designed and modeled using Sketchup Make, printed using Slic3r Prusa edition.