PART OF FULL PROTON PACK BUILD - NEUTRON THROWER ALSO AVAILABLE
This is the Pack part from my 3D printed Ghostbusters Proton Pack build.
The prop was made using various measurements from the gbfans.com wiki. Changes were made to have it 3D print easily, and space was made inside for all the electronics.
Inside the Neutron Thrower is an arduino, which powers the lights. There is a sound board for the SFX, which is toggled be a small set of relays, this then powers the speakers in the back of the pack.
The output of the sound in the video on the Neutron Thrower page shows what sounds the pack can make. In the finished prop all of the wiring went down the hose and connected to power and speakers in the Proton Pack itself.
With this item I have included a parts list which should help you out, it's honestly not that hard to assemble. Most the parts should print flat on the bed in one orientation or another only the Cyclotron parts will need support material. Everything else can be orientated to be printed without.
The prop is designed with holes for LEDs which sat behind opaque plastic in the Cyclotron. Lighting in the powercell came direct from blue LEDs which I have also created a mount for.
To finish the look you will need at least some wires, hose and the iconic rainbow ribbon cable. I also added machine bolts to hold parts in place and give it an industrial look.
Size wise, this was reduced by 10% as I'm a slim chap and thought the full size would look out of place. I also reduced the depth of some parts that didn't need to be so bulky to recreate the look.
Footage of lights and sound in the thrower, sound actually comes out the pack speakers
Post Printing - Assembly and Finishing
Assembling the prints
It was printed in parts and glued together using tabs inserted into slots. The glue I used was two part epoxy resin. Once all the elements of each part was fixed together I laid them out on a piece of MDF and traced around the finished loosely arranged parts.
Knowing I was going to add lights to and electronics to the build I cut semi-circular holes in the backplate to allow access to the cavity. To actually fix the parts to the backplate I used wood glue to attach blocks to the inside of the backplate, then screwed with black screws the parts into place.
Straps from an ex-army backpack were bolted to the backplate in suitable places. One piece of advice I'd give is to put more padding where your shoulder blades touch the solid back. After a day of wearing this, the points of my shoulder blades were bruised where they'd been against the solid wood all day.
The 'centrecover' parts didn't need any glue as it was just held in be the friction of its adjacent parts.
I painted the parts with normal spray paint primer, then a couple of coats of black spray paint mostly, and aluminium colour spray paint on those parts. Then I added the stickers, which I referenced images and recreated myself in Adobe Illustrator as I could create them just the right size that way.
The finishing touched included wires or plastic ducting between the parts, the recognizable rainbow ribbon cable and a few machine screws.
After the last cosmetic parts were added it had that 'factory finish' look, which I them proceeded to ruin by weathering the whole thing. Light strokes of silver acrylic paint to create the scratches, then brown and black painted on and rubbed off all over to give it the greasy dirty used look. It's a fun step and brings the project to life.
Pictures with captions below.
All seperate parts assembled - paper template behind is full size. Prop is 10% smaller.
Painted parts on wood which was used for back plate
Parts ready to be fixed to pack plate
Finished pack, 'factory finish' paint job (without weathering)
Final painted prop
Standing with another Ghostbuster for a photo
Posing with other people
Back with another Ghostbuster
Neutron Wand lit up (it flashes)
Shot from behind
Side view - shows I slimlined the design to make it lighter and more con friendly
Booster parts. Boosterframe1_1 sits on top of this assembled part.
Screw or glue in place once assembled.
Fix directly to your pack plate.
Parts 1 - 4 are the only part that should require proper support material, no flat surfaces to lay down on the bed.
Small amount of support required for part 1_2
Whatever method you use to mount your thrower, can be affixed to this.
Also created a bracket to glue HGA onto adjacent part.
I swapped out ion1_4 for a more flexible Nylon rod.
These are split in 1/2 so can be printed flat on the bed.
LED mount (not pictured) for this part fits inside the box and can hold our 5mm LEDs.
All parts have a flat surface, orient that on your print bed, no support required.
Full parts list.