Loading
Malectrics

Solder fume Extractor - battery powered

by Malectrics Aug 19, 2017
Download All Files

Thing Apps Enabled

Please Login to Comment

Comments deleted.

i also want to add some comment. i built one and it works perfectly fine. i use a high power fan. noisy, but it pushes a lot of air. all fumes are sucked away.
first of all i removed the grill of the top part. if you use an external metal grill it will not be needed. btw it is much too big to stop your fingers from reaching inside. and a 120mm at full power hurts a lot.
second, i made some 4mm holes (108mm spaced) for the screws to go through the case, and a 6mm hole for the switch. drilling printed parts is never really precise, so better makes some holes.
i also made a little hole to adjust the voltage output of the buck converter so i can adjust the fan's speed.
if anyone is interested i can upload the modified files.

Hey I would be very interested in your revised files, if you would be able to upload them.

I'm sorry. I searched for it, but couldn't find them anymore :( Unfortunately I wasn't informed about Malectrics reply shortly after, because then I would have uploaded them immediately.

Hi, your modifications seem very good. What fan did you use ? I am currently also looking to build a version with a stronger fan.
Please upload your files. I will ink them in this things description and on instructables if you like.

First, this is a really cool project. I made one. It's not working 100% yet (battery doesn't seem to be charging and I need a stronger 120mm fan - I used one of those "silent ones" that don't move much air), but I'll get there.

I have some feedback and tips for anyone else building one.

1) The corners. I watched the assembly video where the nuts are glued into the corners and then the corners are glued into the front half, and realized you could just print the front of the box with the corners built in (in the same position they would be in if you'd printed them separately and glued them into the box), pause the print right before the layer where the hex nut holes turn into smaller screw holes, insert the 4 nuts, then continue printing. It worked well for me and even saved some time and plastic (and superglue). Not necessary but a neater option.

2) Be very careful with the wiring. T̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶d̶i̶a̶g̶r̶a̶m̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶s̶t̶r̶u̶c̶t̶a̶b̶l̶e̶s̶ ̶s̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶s̶ ̶b̶l̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶w̶i̶r̶e̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶i̶t̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶w̶i̶r̶e̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶n̶e̶g̶a̶t̶i̶v̶e̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶o̶p̶p̶o̶s̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶n̶d̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶(̶a̶t̶ ̶l̶e̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶l̶d̶)̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶f̶a̶n̶'̶s̶ ̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶w̶i̶r̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶i̶t̶i̶v̶e̶.̶ ̶A̶l̶s̶o̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶a̶t̶t̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶p̶o̶l̶a̶r̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶c̶h̶e̶m̶a̶t̶i̶c̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶b̶a̶c̶k̶w̶a̶r̶d̶s̶ ̶-̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶"̶-̶"̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶a̶t̶t̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶n̶e̶c̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶"̶B̶+̶"̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶"̶+̶"̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶a̶t̶t̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶n̶e̶c̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶"̶B̶-̶"̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶d̶e̶f̶i̶n̶i̶t̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶g̶o̶o̶d̶ ̶(̶h̶o̶p̶e̶f̶u̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶a̶t̶e̶t̶r̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶g̶e̶r̶ ̶b̶o̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶d̶e̶t̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶b̶l̶o̶w̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶b̶a̶t̶t̶e̶r̶y̶)̶.̶ Update: schematic has been corrected! But I still want to emphasize the importance of double-checking all your connections before and after soldering. And then check again. And a final time before you plug in the USB power source.

3) Use a high CFM fan. I tested my fan by itself, and it seemed to work fine, easily sucking solder fumes into it. But after final assembly, the box had very little sucking power. I don't know if the difference was the filter or the aerodynamics of the case, but I'm sure it would work fine if I had used a higher CFM fan.

4) The opening for the USB port didn't line up with the battery charger board I bought. So I made the slot a little wider by melting the plastic with a soldering iron, and slicing away the extra melted plastic on the side with a razor blade.

5) NEW TIP: When you order the battery indicator from Banggood (or aliexpress or Amazon, etc.), make sure you select the "1S" (one cell) version. Choices are 1S, 2S, 3S, and 4S. This is not explained well in the product page for the indicator, so I accidentally ordered the 4S (14.8V) version.

So I've still got a bit of work to do, but this was a great idea and a good project! Thanks!

Hey, thank you for the feedback.
That is a big mistake in the wiring diagram, dont know how this could happen. However i changed it, so now it is correct.

You are right about the fan, the carbon filter stops a lot of the airflow. I also tried it with 2 filters stacked to get better filtering, but then the fan almost sucked no air anymore. So use a fan with the highest CFM rating you can find for best results.

I updated my comment. Thanks again!