Thanks @Undeviljur for the inspiration as well as for providing solid works files.
You can find original design here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1546811
@Undeviljur inspired by @sneakypoo and his design Low friction spool holder
you can find here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:235925
I have made this long time ago and now i am publishing this, so it is possible that may be better versions are available then my or original design.
I have tried to overcome some of the limitation of the original design.
- It has both internal and external thread on the barrel, due to which some minimum diameter is required to maintain the functionality.
- The portion which have both internal and external thread should be some thick due to both the root of thread will reduce the effective dia and hence reduce the cross sectional area and increase the stress.
- The threads are weakest at root dia, so if you over tighten it will break the barrel or threaded cone.
to overcome above difficulties the following thing have improved.
- The barrel is now connected to threaded cone so no internal thread is required, which means minimum diameter is reduced.
- Metal bearing are used instead of plastic bearing for better performance and long life
Original design have weight of 203.11 grams and minimum dia of spool is 39 mm.
This design have weight of 178.95 grams and minimum dia of spool is 29 mm.
You also need:
M8 threaded rod 150mm long + 2x M8 nuts to assemble.
M8 bolt 150 mm long + 1x M8 nuts to assemble.
If possible I recommend Tread locker (LOCTITE) on the nuts.
I have used PLA as advised in original design but if you are sucessful with ABS the please let me know in comments.
Nozzle diameter 0.4mm.
Speed 60mm/s for all parts except for ''Long Tube'' and ''Short Tube'' use 30mm/s for those.
Use support for the part ''Printer mount''.
Print the parts: "Printer mount" and "T-piece" with 100% infill.
Use Cura to slice:
Slice the the parts ''Long Tube'' and ''Short Tube'' with a shell thickness of 1.1 mm so you don't get infill lines. (this is faster and the quality will be better)