Modular 65mm Spindle Mount for ShapeOko2
by zorlack, published
Use This Project
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
I've designed a 65mm spindle mount to fit a Shapeoko2! I'm using this mount to hold a Chinese water-cooled 65mm AC spindle.
You can learn more about this mount by watching the videos I made about it:
- Demonstration of the basic features of the mounting system.
- Demonstration of the dust-collection features of the mounting system.
The mount solves the following problems:
- Mount holds the spindle securely on the z-axis
- Mounted spindle clears the motor mount at the top of the z-axis.
- Mount fits onto the existing z carrage and does not add undue angular load to the z-axis.
- Mount is 3D printable and requires only minimal hardware to install. (M5 bolts of varying lengths)
- Mount is sized correctly to account for ABS shrinkage.
- Mount holds a laser diode for help with centering.
- Mount integrates with a 1.25" vacuum hose and provides dust-collection at the bit.
I've added a new dust-foot, called the Dust Boot. It is an alternate version of the dust-collection foot. This version doesn't restrict air-flow as much, but it does obscure more of the cutting head. I think its better at containing chips and fine dust, but you be the judge! For extra-credit, try adding a strip-brush to make the seal even better!
- These parts are designed for ABS printing. All of my testing for size/shrink has been done with ABS. It may work with PLA, your mileage may vary.
- Printing with rafts helps keep the build-plate side from being deformed during printing.
- No supports needed.
- The DustFoot has two triangular supports built into the design. These should be detached after printing.
- Tap the four outside holes in the face of the mount body.
- Connect the body to the carriage using M5 screws with nuts and washers on the back.
- Connect the clamp to the body using M5 screws, clamp down the spindle.
- If attaching the dust-collection sleeve, Tap the four holes on the left-side of the mount body.
- Insert a 9mm laser into the hole on the bottom of the body, pass the power wire upwards to the top of the mount.
- CA glue is your friend. Go nuts.
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingPrint Fulfilment
Order a print of this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Modular 65mm Spindle Mount for ShapeOko2 by zorlack is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving zorlack a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure zorlack would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).