Quadrant (Sexstant predecessor) - Celestial navigation - NO Supports
by Mirkoengineer, published
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
I am always been a fan of old navigation techinque and I really like to use a Sexstant to find my position on earth. This instrument, the Quadrant, is the predecessor of the Sexstant and it really usefull if you like to calculate altitude of mountains or distance from a certain object and even to calculate your position on earth by using it in cobination with a normal clock.
I've uploaded a simple guide on how to use it with some examples.
The hardware you need:
- 1, M4 x 25 mm Screw (link to buy it: https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Phillips-Round-Screws/dp/B012TCNAD0)
- 3, M4 Nuts (link to buy them: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Full-Stainless-Steel-Hexagon-Delivery/dp/B00A6G5H0G)
- 3, M4 Washer (link tou buy them: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Washer-4-3mm-Stainless-Washers-Delivery/dp/B00A6PILR8)
- 2, MF104ZZ Flanged ball bearings (link to buy the bearings: https://www.banggood.com/10pcs-MF104ZZ-4x10x4mm-Metal-Shielded-Flange-Ball-Bearings-p-1147094.html)
How to assemble the quadrant and how I made it: https://youtu.be/rKAefZo1f6w
As always CAD files are uploaded so you can modify my design to fit your needs.
If you have a similar size flanged ball bearing:
open the "Stellar_Quadrant_v32.f3d" --> change parameters --> edit the parameters to match the dimensions of you bearing.
- IF YOU DON'T HAVE FUSION 360:
Write me in the comment the type and the dimensions of your flanged ball bearing and I will upload as soon as possible the stl file with the changes that you asked.
Every part can be printed with no support material!
How I Designed This
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingPrint Fulfilment
Order a print of this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Quadrant (Sexstant predecessor) - Celestial navigation - NO Supports by Mirkoengineer is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving Mirkoengineer a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure Mirkoengineer would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).