This project was to build an RGB LED hat with a 5 x 18 grid display for my daughter to wear at the 2017 Mini Maker Faire in Seattle.
Full walkthrough of the build including code is available on the project GitHub page: https://github.com/rejamison/stove-pipe
- Printed using white Polymaker Polymax PLA.
- 100% infill is required for even diffusion of the LEDs through the plastic.
- Full build with 6 LED layers requires ~1kg of filament.
- Sized for a 27" head circumference, which is fairly large. You'll probably want to resize for your own head by:
- Go to the OpenSCAD source file and play with the "pitch" parameter, which dictates the size of each LED cell in millimeters. Smaller cells mean a smaller hat.
- The "Outer Circumference in Inches" in the output console shows the current circumference based on the value you've set for "pitch".
- Render each of the parts by commenting/uncommenting the appropriate module.