This is a collection of some remixes ( https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1723700 and https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1746358) and reworks of my own things.
The 5015 fan mount was modified to be slightly thicker and larger around to accommodate captured nuts for all the screws, cuz I hate trying to hold them while I tighten the screws.
The Titan Carriage was modified to use a cable chain for wire management and the BLTouch for bed leveling.
I know that some others have incorporated either the SN04 inductive sensor or the BLTouch into similar designs, but first I have never had good luck with the SN04 and second, the other designs had features for adjusting the sensor which I thought was responsible for the difficulty I had with keeping the SN04 adjusted. My mount of the BLTouch is static and requires that you adjust the Z offset in EEPROM.
Finally, when I removed the SN04 cabling and added the BLTouch cabling I found that it was still a PITA, not as bad as having to unthread the wiring and rethread the new wiring but still a PITA.
I had recently watched a video where Nillabean talked about adding a cable chain to his Original Prusa i3 MK2 and he mentions this open cable design, https://www.tinkercad.com/things/8r558hYwxKj, it is so simple to use. You layout your cable, assemble your chain, connect your chain to the circuit board box and then lay the wiring in the chain and finally insert the locks. DONE! So I had to modify:
- the Circuit board box
- The X-Carriage
- The Titan mount
to fit the new links.
UPDATE Nov 24, 2017:
I had a filament jam on the E3Dv6, due to an overlong retraction, and had to remove and re-add the Titan several times. Any of you who may have built this Titan mount probably have some unkind words for me due to the PITA that was forced based on the original design. I sure did.
There are several problems with the original design:
- You have to mount the carriage onto the bearings before you could mount the Titan and E3D.
- The location and orientation of the Cable Chain mount caused it to interfere with the routing of cables and access the screws for mounting the Titan and stepper motor.
- The Cable Chain still used a fixed plate and grove for cable management.
- The BLTouch mount interfered, much like the Cable Chain interfered with access to screws for mounting the Titan.
So I returned to the drawing board to address all of this.
Fusion 360 to the rescue
For the remixes, I started with the STL file and added my new parts from scratch, I use the standard Fusion 360 workflow.
I did not keep accurate track of the lengths of the screws I used, but the mounting screws were the same M4's HICTOP used for the carriage that came with the printer.
The BLTouch and the fan mount were secured with M3's.
Wiring and connectors
This iteration now has two parts:
- The base plate as before, but without the mount for the Titan and stepper motor.
- A new orientation and type of connector for the Open Cable Chain. This one uses a removable clip to hold the cables in place and is mounted in-line with the left-side of the plate.
- The Titan and stepper motor are now mounted on a separate interlocking plate which may be slid into the base plate. This new mount engages the base with a rounded hourglass mating pattern which proves to be both snug enough to prevent "wobble" and to maintain the orientation of the hot-end even during long prints.
What may still be wrong with this build
- As was pointed out to me earlier, using a horizontal chain will eventually result in a slagging chain. This is caused by the constant polishing of the interface between the individual links.
- Because the connector on the base plate is now lower, by a full link-width, the cable is no longer horizontal and may make the individual links wear more quickly. I have several changes in mind which may correct this but I am far from ready to discuss any of them.
- Converting to the new design may result in one or more cables being too short and may require replacement of those cables.
- A Chain that flexes along the vertical axis would be preferred, and the solution used by the Original Prusa i3 community may be the answer. However, I am not able to route the cables through the back of the base plate as the Prusa did due to the size of the pillow bearings. I am currently experimenting with both this solution and at least one other.
The tolerances in the mating of the base and motor plates are very tight and need to be for the mount to work. I printed my pieces on an Original Prusa i3 MK2s.