Hey! This thing is still a Work in Progress. Files, instructions, and other stuff might change!
BLV mgn12 mod for Anet A8 / AM8
by Blv, published
- Choose your Style
- Requirements & BOM
- What & How to print
- Assembly instructions
- Additional Parts
- MGN12 rails & Carriages extra info
- Small demonstration video
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
BLV mgn12 mod for Anet A8 / AM8
The main purpose of this project is: converting your Anet A8 into an incredible 3d printer, using MGN12 rails fixed on an aluminium extrusion frame.
This upgrade compatible with pheneeny's AM8 mod with small changes. (Huge credit!)
- Why mgn?
The linear bearing and Delrin Wheel Gantry commonly used at most of low-mid 3d printers as a cheaper solution for linear motion. Its cheaper replacement for the expensive mgn rails BUT price is at the expense of accuracy and reliability. Well, linear guided rails (mgn rails) are much more rigid, extreme precise and smooth then linear bearing or Delrin. The linear rails lets you print with higher speed - shorting print time without compromising print quality. The fact rails are fixed to frame prevents unwanted motion related to bent threaded rods or other axis's motion. There seems to be a good reason why they are mostly used with high end 3d printers..
So, i found cheap chinese mgn rails at Aliexpress and thought to myself why not?
fixing the mgn rails can be very frustrating. it need to be perfectly aligned and straight.
else, it will give you a headache, so don't start this project without tons of patience.
Unfortunately, few days after started building this model, I was injured at work.
So, right now i am recovering from cornea erosion - long story..
Basically, I meant publish all the files only after putting all together but a lot of community members was asking for STL files. Therefore, all the files needed to build it released here. I'll appreciate every thoughts or suggestion that you will share with me.
Thank you guys :)
design flexibility and Source file
I'm sharing with you the source file of this project in order to improve the design and make it even more better. you will find the STEP file inside the project zip.
Please follow the item license (under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial - Share Alike.).
- Also made for this project a Build plate for simplify3d
Please notice you may need to re-center bed coordinates via marlin configuration
or change Z extrusion position to center the hotbed
Build it at your own risk.
Latest video update
A quick peek at my project building progress.
sorry for all the exposed wires - i had to test it. first video after all axis's electronics had been connected. Next week i'll get the 400mm threaded rods and install the rest.
I had to reverse x-motor connector in this video beacuse mistakly i fixed the carriage screw on the back instead on the front (i fixed and uploaded the fixed x carriage).
17.11 added a new experimental carriage adapter for Anet A8 Original carriage
17.11 STEP file updated ! (can be edited with any CAD software exp: fusion360)
14.11 added X-motor cover+cable holder (infill 65%+)
05.11 added X-Carriage for E3D Chimera Hotend
02.11 new LED strip holder (compatible with regular 9.8mm strip width)
02.11 new rubber feet mount instead of the tapped method. (Print with 60% infill)
02.11 new improved X-Carriage (added on both sides cable holder)
28.10 BOM updated
27.10 added Heated bed Belt locker (belt_lock_infill80.stl) (infill 80%+)
26.10 fixed x-carriage (the belt holder holes are now on front - reveres x motor not needed any more)
23.10 BOM list updated (added solution for AM8 with 440mm z extrusion)
22.10 added Cad Source file due to community request (BLV Mgn12 mod.step).
22.10 added BOM file (pdf)
22.10 added printing orientation images
Choose your Style
You have the ability to choose your own style:
Anet A8 converted to AM8 (original height: 440mm)+ BLV mgn12 mod:
If you are already a proud owner of an AM8 printer and don't want to change the orignal height, you will have to get a 350mm rails instead of 400mm .
Anet A8 converted to AM8 + Higher Z-axis (height: 500mm) + BLV mgn12 mod:
First you will have to build an AM8 with a small changes:
- instead of: 2x440mm 2040 extrusion > replace with: 2x500mm 2040 extrusion or bigger.
- instead of: 2x340mm 2040 extrusion > replace with: 4x364mm 2040 extrusion
- get a longer threaded rods 400mm.
obviously, you don't need to print all AM8 parts but some (more info at printing info section)
- Anet AM8 + Free style + BLV mgn12 mod:
As i mentioned, the design is flexible and includes separated parts that can be fitted to your wish. if you want custom size printer with a bigger bed or higher Z-axis, please choose wisely your own extrusion size and attached the modular parts to your desired extrusion.
Requirements & BOM
- Anet A8 printer > AM8
- Technical ability
- spare time
BOM - parts you need
clarification: BOM includes AM8 BOM.
- 7 x Mgn12H Carriage (4 for Y-axis, 1 for X-axis, 2 for Z axis)
- 3 x 2040 extrusion 313mm (for top, front, back)
- 4 x 2040 extrusion 364mm (Y-axis)
- 1 x 2020 extrusion 420mm (x-axis)
- 2 x 608zz bearing (optional: if you intend using the top threaded rod holders)
- 16 x HBLFSNF5 Corner Bracket
- 150 x M5X10 Button Head Socket Cap Screw
- 8 x M5x10 Socket Head Cap Screw
- 6 x M5x16 Socket Head Cap Screw
- 4 x M3X20 Socket Head Cap Screw
- 60 x M3X8 Socket Head Cap Screw
- 1 x M4X30 hex head (y-tensioner button)
- 6 x M3X20 screw
- 1 x M3X32 screw
- 20 x M4X10 screw
- 160 x M5 T-nut or M5x.8 Square Nut
- 40 x M3 T-nut
- 4 x M3 nut
- 13 x M3 Washer
- 1 x M3 nylock
- 20 x M4 nut
- 20 x M4 washer
- 6 x Rubber Feet
- 2 x GT2 16T idler (3mm bore)
- 1 x 5 meters GT2 reinforced fiberglass belt 6mm wide pitch 2mm
- 1 x PC4-M6 OD4mm (optional: if using greg's geard extruder)
for option 1 (original AM8 size):
- 2 x 2040 extrusion 440mm (z axis)
- 3 x Mgn12 350mm rail (x & z axis)
- 2 x Mgn12 400mm rail (y axis)
for option 2 (extended z height):
- 4 x Mgn12 400mm rail
- 1 x Mgn12 360mm or 350mm rail
- 2 x 2040 extrusion 500mm (z axis)
- 2 x Threaded Rods 400mm
Additional electronics BOM
- 1 x e3d v6 hotend or Clone
What & How to print
Part to print from this BLV mgn12 mod project:
print all except those optional parts:
- Y mount motor - (print this part only if you dont have the AM8 Y motor mount)
- Top z holders - (aka anti z-wobble) (holders may limit Z height and they are not really needed)
- Caliper Holder - (print only if you have a digital metal caliper)
- LCD case and brackets - (print it only if you have a reprap Discount LCD 12864 only, else use the original AM8 lcd case and brackets)
Part to print from AM8:
- 1 x 1_LCD_Base_Left (only if you are planing to use the original Anet A8 lcd)
- 1 x 1_LCD_Base_Right (only if you are planing to use the original Anet A8 lcd)
- 1 x 1_LCD_Case_Top (only if you are planing to use the original Anet A8 lcd)
- 1 x 1_PSU_Mount (for Original Anet PSU)
- 1 x 1_Wire_Holder
- 2 x 2_Bottom_Tee_Plate
- 2 x 2_Top_Corner_Plate
- 4 x 4_Bottom_Corner_Plate
- 1 x Anet_Board_Mount__With_Fan (dont print if you choose the electronics box)
- 1 x Anet_Board_Mount_No_Fan (dont print if you choose the electronics box)
Material and Infill
Inside zip file you will find a PDF file named: BLV mgn12 mod.pdf
which contain full spec of the Parts (name, material to print with and infill percentage).
Highly important: i added 4 pictures showing printing orientation of the prats.
the printing orientation is very important because it contributes to the strength of the items.
- make sure before printing that its calibrated since the dimension precision are crucial !
- Assemble the BLV mgn12 mod according to assembly instructions that found in this project zip file. its a pdf file named:BLV mgn12 mod.pdf. the file contains sketch with all
the main parts.
Please notice you may need re-center the hotend/bed coordinates via marlin configuration.
Additional Optional Parts
- Greg's geard extruder
- Build plate of this project for simplify3d available here
- Radial Fan Fang (including sensors adapters)
- CPT_Spekkie AM8 Electronics Case
- Devin's Knob with fine tuning dial
- PapaJohn88's mount for Anet A6 lcd (rec by artistebot)
- Handle For AM8
MGN12 rails & Carriages extra info
Well, i used a cheap Chinese mgn12 rails from aliexpress cost 20$ each.
The store i bought it from named: "Mellow" via aliexpress. Before that i bought from other store named: "linkcnc Store" and the rails was awful! it was a used rails, damaged and shorter then what i ordered. They ware so awful, that even after cleaning and lubricating it was still stuck and jammed.
Cleaning and lubricating
notice that the mgn rails you'll get will not be smooth as it should be.
at the factory they lubricate it with a protecting oil that need to be cleaned away.
There are some videos on YouTube showing how to clean the carriage with WD-40.
don't forget that after cleaning both rails and carriage, you will have to lubricate it with sewing machine oil.
As for smoothness: Please ignore the method for testing smoothness but tilting the rail - its wrong! You want it to be smooth but not too much.
Also, since its a miniature rails, please don't use thick grease to lubricate.
Cleaning mgn12 carriage video:
Although the video in russian language which i don't understand - its a pretty good video. just use a container in order not to lose steel balls
note: after assembling all steel balls, you will be left with empty space of one steel ball.
- fixing the rail can very frustrating, you will have to re adjust it a few times until the rail will be leveled and straight.
- the mgn bed adapters needs to be fixes with screws to the heated bead carriage - screws must be tighten in cross like in anet a8 manual.
- take your time an adjust until it will be even from both sides then the motion will be smooth.
its very tricky and need a lot of patience.
Small demonstration video
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
BLV mgn12 mod for Anet A8 / AM8 by Blv is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is not allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving Blv a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure Blv would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).