Add some a couple of lenses to your Kinect to vary the focal length, and increase the resolution. The lens holder slides in and out so you can set your degree of magnification. I use it in combination with reconstructMe for obtaining 3D models of objects.
My design path: ooml -> openscad -> stl -> printrBot
- Print out holderFlat.stl (3 parts to be put together).
- Screw the horizontal bar to the main body (use nut).
- Slide in the lens holder and maybe a set screw (should look like holderPutTogether.stl).
- Put some el cheapo lenses from some reading glasses.
- Clip onto your Kinect, and start using.