Painted and glued together figurine of 3D Bill Cipher from Gravity Falls.
Instructions - !READ THE README!
These files are NOT ready to print as is. You WILL have to measure all objects out individually as to fit your printer configuration, preferred model size and tools at hand. This is a DIY project that will require a bit of attention.
Tools you will need:
- 3D Printer (duh) that is decently calibrated and a filament fit for small detail
- Boxcutter, pliers and other cutting tools
- Some kind of glue that will attach to PLA - a hot glue gun will do fine if you've got a steady hand
- Ruler/Measuring tape or a keen eye for measurements
- Optional: Paint - What I used here is hobby laqueur, a "promarker" and acrylic
- Optional: Double sided tape - preferably something not very sticky
Depending on your printer, calibration, filament and time at hand you will have to measure out all parts and approximate it based on your build.
- Body: Pictured is the body printed at 0.1 or 0.2mm layer height (I forgot) at 60mm across X with 10% infill. Scale it up or down to your preference and use it as a baseline for the rest of the pieces.
- Eye - The eye pictured is 25mm across. I printed a whole bunch of them, scaling them up in 2mm increments, and 25mm is what ended up working for me, though it is a little bit too large for this body. Smaller eyes did come out okay in quality, but I ended up breaking off a few of the eyelashes when trimming some of the excess plastic on the smaller ones.
I printed mine at 0.06mm layer height.
- Bowtie - The pictured bowtie is 20mm across. If I were to make another model I would scale this up to 25mm on this particular scale model. This was printed at 0.06mm layer height.
- Arms and Legs - I printed both of these at 40mm in "height", layed down flat at 0.06mm layer height, with support material and a bit of plate adhesion. I had to trim off about 3-4mm of the top of the legs with a pair of sharp pliers as they were modeled too long. A fair amount of cleaning up support material was needed for these pieces, as they are a bit weird to print, but the result looked good enough for me.
Paint and Assembly
I painted all pieces separately before gluing it all together.
For the body I used a yellow gloss Humbrol laqueur that worked perfectly. Two coats, letting the model rest between coats. I would probably recommend some sort of clear coat for the finish. Everything else was filled in with a black Promarker and a little bit of the eye was touched up with standard white acrylic. This is where the double sided tape came in to hold down these light and tiny pieces as I painted them in. I did two coats on all the pieces with minor touch ups in between.
I've included a screenshot of the underside of the model to help you approximate where you should glue on the limbs. It is your choice whether you want to attach the stand before or after, I attached it before to help as a guide for placing the arms and legs.
What order you glue the pieces on should not matter for the most part. You should maybe consider attaching the legs before you do the arms, though either way would probably work.
That should cover everything. Good luck!