This is a GU Energy gel holder designed in OpenSCAD and completely customizable. Default is 5 gels but customizable up to 12 for you ultra endurance athletes. I saw a similar concept online but is nowhere to be found for purchase, so I decided to improve on the design and make it available for everybody.
1) uses standard zip ties to mount to front fork for stability
2) slots are designed specifically for GU Energy gels
3) slots are tapered and angled to provide enough support
4) optional but recommended 2nd zip tie slot
5) customizable stem diameters, gel counts, and toggles for logo and second zip tie slot
1) With only the front ziptie installed, rotate the ladder to the side a bit.
2) Fold one side of the GU gel flap and insert into the top slot first.
3) From the underside of the holder, unfold the flap so it's snug
4) After adding all gels, bend all gels and flaps towards the back of the bike (see pic)
5) Insert a zip tie at the end of the ladder to add extra security
6) Power through your race like a champion...
For convenience, I've added 2 common configurations of 5 and 10 gels which is roughly a 70.3 or 140.6 Ironman distance.
Just completed the 2017 Austin Ironman to test out the design. Worked perfectly, just enough tug to keep all the gels firmly in place. A tiny tip though, the GU packets have sharp edges at the bottom corners, so I recommend you clip/round off the edges to avoid hitting your leg while off the saddle.