I thought I would share my Halloween project. This has to be the most epic horror movie mashup I've seen. I grew up loving horror movies and thought I would make an ode to them. The pictures don't do it justice. Credit goes to Chris Labrenz for the original artwork. Video: https://youtu.be/mireoleQ9Z0
The 6 panels sit in the base and crown held by glue. Backs of the panels were painted black around image for added contrast. I used a "DC 5v 4-phase 5-wire Stepper Motor+Driver Board+Remote Control Wireless" found off eBay to drive it. I used a spare threaded rod for the internal drive shaft and a standard 608zz bearing.
Easiest thing to do is use a wooden dow rod 8mm or 5/16" in diameter, and about 220mm or 4.3" long for the vertical driveshaft. Cut long and trim it as needed. The top portion should sit 1-2mm off the base.
If the cone on the top keeps slipping in the cup put a thin layer of Halloween liquid latex, or rubber cement on both parts and let dry. It should have more grip. Be sure not to glue them together, they need to slip if the top portion gets jammed so the motor does not burn out or break parts.
Added ShortCenterTube.stl & ShortTop.stl for anyone wanting to skip the top crown and still have it rotate in the base. Untested
Added Half-Sized_Horror.stl, a smaller version of the main litho measuring 100x100x65mm. I have not printed it, but should be fine.
The main litho no longer need to be resized (renamed to MainMashup.stl). Fixed orientation of crown. All parts should fit nicely. Added a diagram of the motor/gear assembly. Cleaned up filenames.
Added the files for the motor portion. Added pictures of internals.
Lithos in top crown need to be printed in clear/natural filament.