Recently I've found a need for a dust extractor to deal with woodworking dust. I didn't want to spend much, and I wanted one that didn't take up much space.
You can't use a vacuum cleaner alone for dust extraction, as the dust very rapidly clogs up the vacuum canister (followed shortly by clogging the vacuum filters). By using an additional cyclone system above a bucket, you can extract dust for ages as the bucket and secondary cyclone prevent anything getting through to the vacuum.
This is a very easy build. Just print out the pieces, cut a few holes in a bit of plywood and if you're feeling keen, route a groove in the plywood to match the bucket.
What you need:
A Dyson DC14 canister. I got mine for $30 from a parts sale.
A vacuum hose,
A vacuum cleaner,
Some adhesive backed foam,
Some 12mm plywood or other decent wood,
A reasonably robust bucket. Keep in mind it will be under vacuum pressure, and needs to have decent strength walls.
1) Print all the goodies.
2) Cut your wood slightly larger than the top of the bucket, and cut a hole around 160mm across in the centre of the wood for the Dyson canister
3) Route a groove (optional) and place the foam on the plywood to seal the bucket. If you have a router, you could use my router circle jig to make perfect circles. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2611305
4) Place the 'Extractor lid guides.stl' under the wood so that they align the foam and wood with the bucket lip.
5) Screw the 'Extractor cyclone mount.stl' to the plywood on the opposite side to the foam.
6) Pry the lower door of the Dyson DC14 canister (Carefully. Don't break the plastic. I used a small screwdriver to help).
7) Stick the Dyson canister into the attachment. Place the 'Extractor vent cover.stl' over the central hole of the canister. (You need it to seal the bottom of the Dyson canister. This is usually sealed by the lower door.
8) Put all the adapters in place, attach a vacuum cleaner and suck.
Diameters for these components are based on:
Vacuum cleaner hose - 41.7 mm external Ø.
Dust extractor hose at canister - 53.5 mm internal Ø
Dust extractor hose for tool - 34.75 mm external Ø
Tool dust extraction port - 37mm external Ø
If you have different diameters you'll need to modify or design a different adaptor.