This is the Original design for the FT-817 PowerPole Adapter that is available pre-manufactured on eBay at: http://stores.ebay.com/N0WL-Radio. I am posting it here for non-commercial use only.
Bill of Materials
• 3D Printed Shell
• Philmore TC240B Barrel Plug with 6’ Cable
• 15A PowerPole Adapter (30A adapters will work too)
• M3x12 Screw
• Wire Cutters
• Razor knife
• PowerPole Crimper (or soldering iron if you must
• Volt-ohm meter
- Trim power wires to length
a. Black wire: 41mm (1 5/8”) from strain relief
b. Black & white wire (this is positive): 34mm (1 5/16”) from strain relief
- Carefully remove the last section of the strain relief. This is ~3mm (1/8”). You need to do this because of the tight clearance between the power socket and the radios feet. Use a razor knife to trim away enough of the strain relief to fit in the 3D printed shell. BE CAREFUL NOT TO CUT INTO THE INSULATION OF THE WIRE LEADS!
- Trim ~6mm (1/4”) insulation from the end of each lead. Twist bare copper wires to keep them from fraying
- Insert wire leads into PowerPole contacts and crimp. Or solder if you must.
- Assemble the black and red PowerPole shells together. MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE THEM ORIENTED CORRECTLY AND TEST AGAINST A KNOWN GOOD POWERPOLE CABLE. YOU WILL DESTROY YOUR RADIO OF YOU DO THIS STEP INCORRECTLY!
- Insert the black lead into the black PowerPole shell making sure you have a solid connection.
- Insert the black and white lead into the red PowerPole shell making sure you have a solid connection.
- Inspect your work. Use a volt-ohm meter to make sure that the center of the barrel connector is positive and the outside shell is negative.
- Insert the wire/PowerPole assembly into the shell. The red PowerPole lays on the edge farthest away from the barrel plug and closest to the ground post.
- Guide the wires around the shelf twisting counter-clockwise so that the barrel plug fits in the shell.
- Place assembly on the radio. Barrel plug in the power socket and fitted snuggly over the ground post.
- Secure assembly to the ground post with M3x12 screw.
- Optionally, use the screw to attach a ground wire.
This item was designed to specifically avoid any critical settings. I have printed in ABS, PLA, and PET-g. I prefer PLA for this model.