Hey guys, this project came about because my good set of hex bits snapped. I did not have any money to buy a new set so I decided to make one for cheap instead. A good hex driver set can go from $30 and above but with this, you could easily cut the price down to $1 for each driver.
I have not tested every single file so if there is anything wrong with any of them, please message me! I will be adding various more handles, so if you have any suggestions of a specific type of handle you'd like, message me! Thank you!
This design will fit:
- Metric: 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0, 5.5, 6.0.
- SAE / Inch / American: 1/8, 1/16, 3/16, 3/32, 5/32, 5/64, 7/32, 7/64, 9/64.
- I have used left handed screw threads for this project.
- The handle has a pilot hole so you could use any screw to hold the "Holder" parts against the handle. I used an M3x10 button screw for mine.
- If you choose to have a thumb screw on the handle, you could have interchangeable keys!
- Depending on your printer, you may need a nozzle smaller than 0.4mm to print the 6mm key and the 9/64 key.
- You would need to flip the "Holder" files 180 degrees, and add supports that are only touching the build plate.
- You will need to flip the "Ring" files 180 degrees. These files do not need any supports.
- The handles should be printed up right with no supports as well.
- The tolerance of my parts is + 0.3mm from true measurements. This yielded a perfect fit for my printer (Anet A8).
Interpreting the files:
- The screwdriver is composed of four pieces: "Holder" (2 halves), "Ring", and handle.
- Each file has the size of the key you would want to use for it.
- The "Holder" is composed of two pieces and is labeled "L" or "R" to differentiate them.
Example: If you have a 1.5mm hex key you would need to print "Holder_1.5mmL", "Holder_1.5mmR", "Ring_1.5mm" and your handle of choice.
Print Settings (What I used and recommend):
- I used a 0.4 mm nozzle.
- Printed in PETG plastic (Any plastic could be used).
- I used 40% infill for the handle with 3 layer walls.
- I highly suggest 100% infill for the "Ring" files and at least 40% infill on the "Holder" files.