11/18/2017: I uploaded the main helmet .STL so that you can view what the final product will look like! I have most all the parts already made, all I have left to do is slice up the shoulder pad section so that it'll fit on smaller print beds. I print on a 6"x6"x6" Da Vinci Jr. 1.0 so thats what I'm Slicing it to fit on. Once I have the shoulder pads sliced I'll finish converting all the files to .STL files and upload them. I personally plan on printing 2 of these helmets before Christmas 2017. One for me, and one for my dad! more to come as I do more work!
11/18/2017: I uploaded an image of the AutoDesk Inventor assembly as it stands so far, this is what the whole things is supposed to look like when its done, bondo'd, sanded, and painted! ... Please ignore any gaps or parts that aren't exactly centered, I didn't actually constrain much, I just imported them to the assembly, and hovered them to a position close to where they will be assembled (also none of the screws in the band around the shoulder pad section are in the model). Also I fixed the .STL for the assembly so that now its upright.
11/19/2017: I uploaded all 24 sliced .STL files FOR THE BONNET ONLY. There are still lots of fittings and the whole shoulder ring to go. I have all the pieces sliced up so that they can fit on a smaller print bed, but as for now these are the only ones I've converted to .STL files.
11/19/2017: I have uploaded all of the files needed to print out the full helmet. There are 61 unique .STL files. some of which you'll need to print more than once. The bonnet was sliced into three rings, then each ring was sliced into 8 wedges. They are labeled "bonnet x-x" the first number corresponds to the ring, the second number corresponds to which part it is. To avoid having too many lines converging at single points I rotated the wedges on the center ring by 5 degrees. The shoulder pad section was sliced into two rings. The lower ring was then cut into 8 rectangular slices, and the upper ring was cut into 12 rectangular pieces but you will notice that there are sections labeled "SR 2-x" and SR 3-x" because I had to cut some of the slices into even smaller pieces. I will draw up a "map" so that you can figure out where all of the parts go soon.
11/19/2017: I found an issue with Bonnet part 1-5 where the bubble vent wasn't actually attached to this part, so I fixed the part, made it back into an STL and re-uploaded it! if anyone else goes to download this and finds parts that give you issues, please don't hesitate to point them out so I can fix them!
11/25/2017: I have found another issue with another part, 2-1 could be printed without support on a powder printer but with an extrusion printer it might be difficult (unless you had a dual extrusion that can extrude dissolvable filament) so for anyone that wishes to print it with their own printer's support system, I have left the original file, but have also uploaded a file where I added custom supports that should be a lot more efficient than most slicer's default support systems.
11/25/2017: Also I have to date printed out the whole first ring of the bonnet, the wing nut, one of the shoulder screws, and one of the shoulder nuts. I'm currently waiting on a new spool of filament to continue printing.
11/18/2017 so far if you orient all parts to the best of your ability and they "can" be printed without supports. I'll upload more instructions and details as I get further into the model.
11/19/2017 all of the initial un-revised parts have been uploaded. if any of the parts get changed or updated I will make notes of it here.
11/19/2017: So my plan for this section is to tell you step by step how I created the first full helmet, while I'm creating it. Then at the very end detail in full which steps to follow, which steps to edit, what wish I had done and what I wish I hadn't have done. So at this point I have uploaded everything to Thingiverse in .STL format, and now I am beginning the LONG arduous task of transforming each part into the .3w file that my printer needs. I believe that this process will take longer than actually modeling the helmet. I'll check back in here when I've printed some things out and begin assembling!
11/25/2017: As stated above I have printed out the whole first ring, my plan for assembly is to get all the parts printed out, assemble the bonnet ring by ring then assembles rings 1 and 2, then 3 onto the top of that assembly, as for the shoulder ring, I'll be making that up as I go along. I found out in other full size helmet prints that it's helpful to use masking tape to "clamp" the joints together until the glue drys. As for what glue I use, I use gorilla Super Glue, it seems to set up fairly fast and when the whole project is assembled, bondo'd, sanded, and painted it holds very well. If you're weary of using super glue on such a large project, I believe that 5 minute epoxy would work as long as it doesn't dissolve your plastic.