This is a case I created for the CPUville Z80 computer kit. For now I have the main board only, with the intent to interface it via my Arduino. Like an old-school homebrew computer kit, the Z80 Kit comes as a PCB, with parts to solder on. I figured the perils of my desk (paper clips, loose jumper wires, the occasional solder blob, etc.) were likely to short this thing out, so in the homebrew style, I took the opportunity to make a case for it!
This isn't my first 3D design, but it's my first 3D design with the explicit purpose of 3D printing. It's rough around the edges, correspondingly. But, it serves my purpose, and I believe it may be useful to others, so I'm posting it here.
- CPUville, the Z80 Computer Kit, and related materials are Copyright ©2017 by Donn Stewart, found at www.cpuville.com. (Electronics & homebrew geeks should really look this site over; there's lots of interesting stuff on there.)
- This case design is Copyright ©2017 Ted McFadden (me). It's use is Creative Commons' licensed, CC BY-SA-NC. (Brief summary: Do what thou wilt, but if that includes an exchange of money with something other than a print service, please contact me.)
XYZ Printing's Da Vinci Jr. 1.0
0.3mm nozzle, 0.2mm layer
Not much to infill; I think I used 25%.
- Again, this is my first full design for 3D printing. (Expect "noob" mistakes.)
- There's some extra tolerance than I'd planned from imperial-to-metric conversions. (Oops.)
- The thin walls surrounding the PCB came detached from the base near the middle. They hold in the corners well though.
- Otherwise, and in spite of above, the case fits as intended, so I consider the model done. If I'm sufficiently bored I may double back and revisit this, but don't count on that happening soon.
The mounting/screw holes in the corners are sized off common PC case screws. I used the larger, thick-threaded case screws (with friction stops) on mine. But, that's a very tight fit, as you're essentially threading the hole with the screw. If it's too much, try a smaller (drive-bay style) screw.