"Build-A-Bundle" Nuclear Fuel Assembly Activity for outreach projects with high-school (STEM) students.
Students press their own pellets and fill one rod. The rest of the bundle is printed and pre-assembled ahead of the lesson.
Accommodations are made for an optional electrical system to light the water channel when the rods are placed in their correct positions. This is the part that is a work in progress.
Update 1-10-2018, added decimated versions of lower tie plate and water channel to lower triangle count and file size. Added an array of 169 pellets for easier print bed layout.
Update 1-12-2018, added solid pellet and solid pellet array. (Pellets with no inner hole. Same outer dimensions).
*Update 3-6-2018, replaced Spacer.stl with version that has holes for active flow, like the LTP and UTP.
3D Printed Parts with eSUN PLA Pro (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EKEMB7Q)
- Lower_Tie_Plate.stl - Qty: 1, Supports: Touching Buildplate, Layers: 0.1mm, Infill: 50%, Wall Thickness: 1.2mm
- Upper_Tie_Plate.stl - Qty: 1, Supports: Everywhere, Layers: 0.1mm, Infill 50%, Wall Thickness: 1.2mm
- Spacer.stl - Qty: 1, Supports: No, Layers: 0.1mm, Infill: 30%, Wall Thickness 1.2mm
- Nut.stl - Optional (instead of Short_Nut when using Upper_Cover) Qty: 1, Supports: No, Layers: 0.1mm, Infill 100%
- Short_Nut.stl - Optional (instead of Nut when not using Upper_Cover) Qty: 1, Supports: No, Layers: 0.1mm, Infill 100%
- Pellet.stl - Qty: 1440, Supports: No, Layers: 0.1mm, Infill 100%
- Cap_Lower.stl: Qty: 40, Supports: No, Layers: 0.1mm, Infill 100%
- Cap_Upper.stl: Qty: 36, Supports: No, Layers: 0.1mm, Infill 100%
- Cap_Upper_PLR.stl: Updated 12-26-2017, Qty: 4, Supports: No, Layers: 0.1mm, Infill 100% (PLR= part length rods, for the corner positions)
- Upper_Cover.stl: Optional if needed to cover electrical components, Qty 2: Supports: No, Layers 0.1mm, Infill 100%
3D Printed Parts with 3D Solutech PETG (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VKSVMOY)
- Water_Channel.stl - Qty: 1, Supports: Touching Buildplate, Layers: 0.2mm: Infill: 100%
- Teaspoon.stl - Qty: 1, Supports: No, Layers: 0.2mm: Infill: 100% (Approximate volume of one pellet when using coffee cream powder and press)
Non 3D Parts
- Qty: 40 Polycarbonate Tubes, 3/8"OD X 1/4" ID, cut 36 to 300mm and 4 to 150mm
- Qty: 40, Springs for rod upper plenums, 0.24"OD X 0.02" Wire X 2" Free Length
- Qty: 1, Pellet Press (Note: Punch and die set needs to make 6mm diameter pellets)
- Coffee creamer for making your own pellets with the press
- Powdered food coloring to mix with creamer
- Qty: 1, Pelican Storage/Transport Case
- Nuclear Engineering