BWR Nuclear Fuel Assembly Short Model, 300mm rods, 7X7 Array with 3X3 Water Channel
by cbsarka, published
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
"Build-A-Bundle" Nuclear Fuel Assembly Activity for outreach projects with high-school (STEM) students.
Students press their own pellets and fill one rod. The rest of the bundle is printed and pre-assembled ahead of the lesson.
Accommodations are made for an optional electrical system to light the water channel when the rods are placed in their correct positions. This is the part that is a work in progress.
Update 1-10-2018, added decimated versions of lower tie plate and water channel to lower triangle count and file size. Added an array of 169 pellets for easier print bed layout.
Update 1-12-2018, added solid pellet and solid pellet array. (Pellets with no inner hole. Same outer dimensions).
*Update 3-6-2018, replaced Spacer.stl with version that has holes for active flow, like the LTP and UTP.
3D Printed Parts with eSUN PLA Pro (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EKEMB7Q)
- Lower_Tie_Plate.stl - Qty: 1, Supports: Touching Buildplate, Layers: 0.1mm, Infill: 50%, Wall Thickness: 1.2mm
- Upper_Tie_Plate.stl - Qty: 1, Supports: Everywhere, Layers: 0.1mm, Infill 50%, Wall Thickness: 1.2mm
- Spacer.stl - Qty: 1, Supports: No, Layers: 0.1mm, Infill: 30%, Wall Thickness 1.2mm
- Nut.stl - Optional (instead of Short_Nut when using Upper_Cover) Qty: 1, Supports: No, Layers: 0.1mm, Infill 100%
- Short_Nut.stl - Optional (instead of Nut when not using Upper_Cover) Qty: 1, Supports: No, Layers: 0.1mm, Infill 100%
- Pellet.stl - Qty: 1440, Supports: No, Layers: 0.1mm, Infill 100%
- Cap_Lower.stl: Qty: 40, Supports: No, Layers: 0.1mm, Infill 100%
- Cap_Upper.stl: Qty: 36, Supports: No, Layers: 0.1mm, Infill 100%
- Cap_Upper_PLR.stl: Updated 12-26-2017, Qty: 4, Supports: No, Layers: 0.1mm, Infill 100% (PLR= part length rods, for the corner positions)
- Upper_Cover.stl: Optional if needed to cover electrical components, Qty 2: Supports: No, Layers 0.1mm, Infill 100%
3D Printed Parts with 3D Solutech PETG (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VKSVMOY)
- Water_Channel.stl - Qty: 1, Supports: Touching Buildplate, Layers: 0.2mm: Infill: 100%
- Teaspoon.stl - Qty: 1, Supports: No, Layers: 0.2mm: Infill: 100% (Approximate volume of one pellet when using coffee cream powder and press)
Non 3D Parts
- Qty: 40 Polycarbonate Tubes, 3/8"OD X 1/4" ID, cut 36 to 300mm and 4 to 150mm
- Qty: 40, Springs for rod upper plenums, 0.24"OD X 0.02" Wire X 2" Free Length
- Qty: 1, Pellet Press (Note: Punch and die set needs to make 6mm diameter pellets)
- Coffee creamer for making your own pellets with the press
- Powdered food coloring to mix with creamer
- Qty: 1, Pelican Storage/Transport Case
Using a PEI sheet, sanded with 600 grit sandpaper
How I Designed This
- Nuclear Engineering
Duration of Lesson
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
BWR Nuclear Fuel Assembly Short Model, 300mm rods, 7X7 Array with 3X3 Water Channel by cbsarka is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is not allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving cbsarka a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure cbsarka would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).