Hey! This thing is still a Work in Progress. Files, instructions, and other stuff might change!
by grajohnt, published
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
This case is meant to be printed in three parts and assembled using the included hardware with the uBITX. It is designed to print on smaller volume printers such as the MakerBot or the FlashForge Creator. This also provides the opportunity to print in multiple colors for a more attractive case.
- Adjusted location of volume knob
- Internally recessed audio/key jacks to allow the nut to get more 'bite' into the jack
- Filleted corners of front/back to make printing a bit easier and sharpen up the appearance
- Signature moved to back left of chassis where it is mostly out of sight
- Front/back modified to be more robust - previous version was particularly vulnerable to breaking at the base of the snap tabs. Time will tell on this one!
- Added custom-printed knobs!
- Added a pen cap microphone case - now all parts for full assembly are included. The microphone fits neatly as a replacement pen cap to a uni-ball micro-point pen.
- I printed in PETG - Other materials should be possible, but the snap-together case may not work as well with more rigid or less robust plastics.
- Before case assembly, file the ridges on the face/back tabs to smooth them out just a bit and remove any printing irregularities
- Print the front/back with a WIDE brim (I go 10 wide, 2 high) - that will help prevent warping. These parts are a bit of a worst case scenario for warping. The body does not require this and is very easy to print
- If you don't like (or break off) the snap tabs, it should be no problem to drill a hole somewhere where the parts overlap and secure with self-tapping screws
- Wire up uBITX and attach all front/back parts
- I used 1" copper tape on the front audio jacks to provide a common ground between them (pictured). A more extensive lining of copper tape could easily be used, if desired
- Slide main board into grooves on face part
- Plug in the audio/digital jacks onto the uBITX board
- You will need to bend U3 to get it out of the way a bit
- Slide the "main" part onto the uBITX main board from the rear, and then, one side at a time, push the side tab inward while applying a bit of force to the "main" part and allow it to move forward and snap into place. Repeat for the other tab.
- Plug in rear connections
- Slide "back" part into place and snap it in the same way you did the front face
- Knobs are just friction-fit - the volume knob will need to be cut down to fit the included knob
- Microphone element goes in the 'Body' part, and the switch goes in the rectangular hole on the 'Switch' part, with leads bent 90 degrees downwards (it's a tight fit). There is a divider to keep the leads from shorting out. Pass the wires from the microphone and switch down through the hole in the side, or alternatively through the bottom, if you prefer. I wired a 3.5mm TRS jack very close to the microphone, and use a 3.5mm M-M shielded cable to connect to the uBITX
- Connect up, and make QSOs!
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingPrint Fulfilment
Order a print of this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
uBITX Case by grajohnt is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving grajohnt a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure grajohnt would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).