For a while now, I've been wanting to upgrade my Printrbot Simple Metal with a heated bed. I've been hesitant to buy Printrbot's official upgrade kit, due to the $125 price tag. I ended up buying this $18 (including shipping) heater, and sticking it to the bottom of the printer's bed. Here are some pictures of it. The basic steps I followed to hook it up are below:
- remove the 4 screws holding the bed onto the printer.
- remove the 2 screws holding the belt tensioner onto the bed.
- lift the entire bed off the printer, and flip it over.
- using a ruler and a pencil, on the bottom of the bed, mark an outline of the in middle where the heater should go.
- peel off the backing from the double-sided adhesive on the heater, and stick it to the bottom of the bed. Make sure that the wires come out from one of the SIDES, NOT THE FRONT OR BACK!!
- On the black plastic pieces that hold the bed onto the slider rods, there is a small cutout in the middle. Place the bed back onto the printer, making sure to route the wires through the cutout.
- screw the bed back onto the printer, and reattach the belt tensioner.
- flip over the printer, so that you can access the printrboard.
- Strip the heater wires, and screw them into the screw terminals on the printrboard labeled "heatbed". There is a picture here that shows where everything needs to be hooked up.
- plug the thermistor into it's appropriate connector, also shown here.
--NOTE-- I am not sure exactly which type of connector is used for connecting the thermistor to the printrboard. I happened to have a few laying around, and one of them fit. If anyone knows what type the connector is, please let me know. I think it's a type of Molex connector
Here is an Imgur album I put together with some more instructions. If you still need any help, please leave a comment or PM me, and I will help you out.