I wanted to design a case to fit the aesthetic of the original Apple AEK keyboard for my upcoming Alps 64 build.
I plan on binding the two halves with XTC-3d, finishing with some sanding and painting to match the color of the original AEK keyboard. Each half will take around 1 day and 16 hours to print according to CURA.
UPDATE: 5 perimeter walls, 1.6mm thick bottom/top, 35% infill @ 60mm/s with my printer's acceleration settings took about 48 hours per half.
After doing a test print, I notice that the right half has a bit more of a gap between the side of the case and the keycaps when installing the board. I think the USB cutout port could be sized better, wider horizontally to allow you to correctly center your 60% PCB in this case. In my case, I just cut back the USB cutout on one side to allow my PCB to slide to the right side of the case to even out the gaps a bit.
Sharing here if anyone else is interested. I will try to remember to update this post when finished with the print and build.
Update: Check out the final product pics now... yeeeee
I don't think infill percentage really matters, but I went higher than lower at 35%, with 5 perimeter walls for a very solid feel, and I think 1.6mm thick tops and bottoms for (again) a very solid heavy feel.
Sanded the PLA print with 220 grit, then 320 grit. I then used 3 coats of primer-filler to get to this point.
I had to use a razor blade to remove some of the support material left behind prior to sanding those areas.
There are still some gaps from joining the two sides with loctite super glue that I plan on filling with bondo, sanding it, along with sanding a few more imperfections that became apparent during primer application.
Finally, after bondo and sanding, I plan on doing a final coat of primer-filler, painting and clearcoating.
I ended up doing 3 coats of primer-filler after sanding, then bondo, then 2 more coats of primer filler, 3 coats of color, and 2-3 coats of matte clear.