No denying, the carriages on the TLM require a fair amount of adjusting to achieve perfect tension with the added challenge of being equal across all three. I've attempted to take the guesswork out of it by designing an adapter that converts the carriage into a three-wheel configuration, provides consistent tension, and uses existing hardware.
I'm publishing this as a Work in progress so that fellow TLM patrons can help test this with me. Please post comments on your experience and any constructive criticism you may have. Thanks!!
Replaced V11 models with repaired ones as they were indicating an error in 3D Builder for Windows. I'm taking this off WIP. While we know they will always be a work in progress, I'm happy with the current models and feel V11 is as good as they are gonna get for this type of mod. Be on the lookout for a new mod I'm working on that takes the trucks to a whole new level!
These might be the finals. I'm very happy with the results so far. They don't eliminate the concentric adjustments, but overall make it much easier to adjust. The little hole in the middle is not for a screw but to force the slicer to reinforce the area with outlines through the entire part. Instructions remain the same. After I apply to a couple more TLMs, I may update the instruction pics and deem this model complete while I figure something else out to make them self-adjusting.
I tweaked the over length as it made it rather difficult to get the bolts through. I must've left it long for when I was dabbling with the suspension design. I also increased the height just slightly as I noticed tidbit of bowing when tightened. I don't believe it causes much of an issue but could rub off debris over time. Side note: I uploaded the wrong V8s, they have been corrected.
I found the current design actually flexed to the point the posts would rub, so I made them stiff. If you want some flex it might be worth printing in semi-flex or nylon. I will still pursue a design that doesn't require adjustments of the concentric nuts, but at least with a trike the adjustment will be even across the 3 wheels.
Print with 5 outlines and you won't have infill. I recommend Taulman 910 Nylon. If you use something else, let me know how it turns out!
I've printed these in PETG and they work as well!
UPDATE to the UPDATE
Just don't mess around, the flex will kill you - go straight to Polycarbonate. I reprinted all mine in PC+ by SnoLabs. If you can print PETG, you can print PC+.
Carefully remove the three carriages from the printer and disassemble the two stationary wheels on each of them. We want the concentric wheels in place for potential adjustments. This is a great opportunity to inspect the wheels for wear and crunchiness. I recommend picking up some quality replacements (e.g. 3DVice). No additional hardware is necessary and you can use the same Allen wrench and open end wrench from your installation kit.
- Insert the Allen bolts through the carriage plate
- Squeeze the bottom adapter and slide onto the Allen bolts (like a bow)
- Place both brass washers on the bottom adapter post
- Place the bearing on the bottom post
- Press the locking nuts into the top adapter
- Place the top adapter and loosely tighten the bolts to allow some movement for flexing
- Adjust the two concentric nuts on the other two wheels to furthest position away from each other.
- Rinse and repeat for the remaining carriages
Eccentric concentric nuttiness.
All ready to go; well, after I finish the other two and put the printer together. They should hold their own weight with little effort to slide up and down with absolutely NO bearing crunchiness.