Top mount spool holder for Robo 3D R1 and R1+
Ground up redesign inspired by things 1773428 and 158289. Wanted something that would hold the wheels a little more ridged and fit the shape of the R1 a little closer.
Can be used with my spool enclosure design to make your printer look like a robot
Needed to print using a very small spool and the old version wouldn't support it. The new version insets the screw heads on one side so the supports can be pressed flush against each other. A filament guide hole was also added to the middle.
It turns out the half filament guide on each side of the support really only works when they are flush, but if even a little apart the filament can get snagged. So I cut out the space needed for the stock filament guide so that can always be used. Doesn't affect stability since the entire support is 30 cm wide (dictated by the inline skate shaft). Haven't printed the new one yet but will upload pictures as soon as I do.
I printed the wheels without supports and they looked ok, but with supports (which popped out easy) I saw less variation in the edge when I spun the wheel.
I use Cura for slicing and when putting the spacer onto the bed it shows up 10x larger for some reason. Clicking scale and moving the decimal point for one of the axises (with proportion constraint) shrinks it back to it's designed size and it prints fine. Not sure if this would happen in other programs. Should have an OD of 8.04
- push the spacers into the bearings
- they will be tight, just cram them in there
- push the bearings into the wheels
- these should also be tight
- assembly with the washers on each side of the wheel
- 4 skate bearings 8mm, ID 22mm OD. I used these
- 4 Inline Skate Wheel 15/64" Shafts. I used these
- 8 washers that fit the skate shafts but less then 16mm OD (so doesn't interfere with rotating part of bearing)