This design is inspired by a handy spinner and the hexagonal symmetry of the snowflake.
I made them together: I've designed the SnowFlakeSpinner.
The complete model consists of three part:
- Base module, it is a simple snowflake with a hole in the centre to mount a ball bearing. You can choose 623ZZ or 608ZZ type bearing. At the end of the six main arms I put one spin mount to place the spinner module on it.
- Spin module, it is also a simple snowflake with a hole in the centre to mount a ball bearing. It is designed for only 623ZZ because of sizing. Near the end of its six arms there I put one hex nut (sized for M4 nut). You should put into them nuts in order to make the spinner heavier.
- Table mount module, it is a small snowflake with a bearing mount in the centre. You should put the base module onto it.
You can set some parameters in the BlocksCAD program. The radius, the bearing type, number of spinners, and printing tolerance, if you need.
I've commented all the variables and modules and functions in the BlocksCAD program. They help you understand the parameters.
BlocksCAD build instructions:
There is a Main module in the program with one parameter. After the global parameter settings, you only need to use this parameter.
If you plan to create one base snowplate and 3 or 6 snowspin spinning on it, and one base mount, you should call this block 3 times.
- parameter="base". RENDER, Export the stl file and print is once.
- parameter="spin". RENDER, Export the stl file and print it 3 or 6 times.
- parameter="mount". RENDER, Export the stl file and print it once.
You need 1 base bearing + 3 or 6 spin bearing and M4 nuts 6 times of the number of the spinners.
In addition you can select:
- "all". This is for only view the whole model with the there kind of modules incorporated. It is not printable.
I've uploaded the images of the rendered modules and the incorporated model too. This contains the bearings in green colour. The different modules has different colours.
I have uploaded the generated stl files also in more parametrised version (bearing, spin number).
HAVE A GOOD SPINNING!
You will need 1 bearing for the base and 6 bearings for the spinners. All bearings marked as green.
Then SPIN, SPIN and SPIN....
BlocksCAD on iMac
On iMac with Safari blocksCAD can not export binary STL.
The generated ASCII STL is not good for viewing in Thingiview. These files are not sliceable with slic3r.