Update: I added a little parts bowl that I designed for the top. I use mine to hold a little pencil sharpener and erasor.
Update: Added an optional extender "BeadyDNA_extender3_zoriented.STL" - for the advanced and adventurous printing fans. Use a brim to ensure better print bed adhesion. Thanks to user SchnickFitzel for extension suggestion and first print. I recommend printing the base and top at first and then consider one or more extenders if you like a challenge.
Background: I've had a few requests for a smoother DNA pencil helix and decided to do a more organic looking design using solidworks.
- Add both files to slicer and orient if necessary. Default orientation should work fine in most cases. Of course you can print these separately if you choose to.
- The part with the outer ring is the base (bottom) and the part with the inner ring is the top.
- Print with 20% infill and whatever layer thickness works best for you. I used 0.2mm for the pictured item.
- Remove parts from printer
- Glue together with super glue or crazy glue.
- Add pencils and display.