Unicorn - An ESP8266 thermometer and humidity meter
by Thorinair, published
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
Unicorn is an ESP8266 based high precision wireless thermometer and humidity meter. To achieve high accuracy, the sensor used is the SHT21. Once measured, the device uploads the data to variables hosted on VariPass. The whole device is designed to run off a single 18650 Li-Ion battery, and can potentially keep running for a month thanks to ESP's deep sleep functionality (Not yet tested however!).
- Measures temperature and humidity using an SHT21 sensor.
- Measures battery status as percentage or voltage.
- Can connect to up to 8 different WiFi networks and switch between them.
- Uploads data to VariPass.
- A status LED indicates the success of the upload process when enabled.
- Runs off a single 18650 Li-Ion battery.
- Supports ESP's deep sleep feature for prolonged battery life.
- Lots of configuration available in the software.
- Features a slot on the back which fits an M5 countersunk screw, used for hanging on a wall.
- USB port is exposed for charging and programming.
- Case designed in such a way to minimize heat transfer.
- A small hole on the back used to reset the board using a paper clip.
- Croduino NOVA
- SHT21 Breakout
- Holder for 18650 Li-Ion Battery
- 18650 Li-Ion Battery - Can be a different one than linked here as well.
- Battery protection circuit - You might need top find a listing which offers them individually. Datasheet: link
- A slide switch similar to this one. A different one will probably not work. You will need to change the design a bit if you wish to use a different one.
- Some cables for wiring
- 8x M3*16 countersunk screws
- 1x M3*10 countersunk screw
- 1x M3 nut
Unicorn runs software written by myself, It is available on my GitHub.
Printing & Assembly
Print everything without any supports and exactly as already oriented for best results.
Assembly is pretty straight forward and with the correct hardware, everything snaps into place. Picture 3 shows the general layout and assembly of all the printed parts and hardware. Four M3*16 screws hold the upper parts in place, and four hold the lower. One M3*10 screw along with an inserted nut into the Unicorn_Sensor.stl holds the side cover.
You will need to do a lot of soldering to wire everything up. Please check pictures 4, 5 and 6 on this upload and pay attention to the cable colors.
As always, I am providing the .blend file as well in case you wish to modify this.
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingPrint Fulfilment
Order a print of this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Unicorn - An ESP8266 thermometer and humidity meter by Thorinair is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving Thorinair a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure Thorinair would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).