by thingiverse, published
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
3D print a forest of unique, customized trees using Thingiverse Customizer. With about a dozen parameters, the Customizable Tree allows you to easily generate all the flora your inner arborist desires.
We just upgraded Customizer to a more recent version of OpenSCAD (2013.06), so we created the Customizable Tree to show off some of the new features. It now supports recursion, or the process of repeating similar shapes, in modules and functions and the scaling parameter for linear extrusions which allows the tree branches to taper.
Additionally, the tree customizer uses a new library we wrote for handling 3D vectors and a small library for converting hue-saturation-value colors to RGB. The 3D vector library comes with some helpful functions for rotating vectors toward other vectors as well as a module for visualizing vector paths.
- Updated the branches to used a simplified version of custom shapes to fix very long render times.
- Fixed a bug where the branch caps weren't rotating properly with twisted branches.
- Added a new "Advanced Settings" tab to expose some of the more finicky parameters. Please note, the advanced settings can produce unprintable geometry!*
By default, these will not have extreme overhangs and thus won't need supports. You can turn off that feature with the "Allow All Overhangs" option in Customizer. We've gotten great prints with standard slice settings (.2 mm layer height and 2 shells).
Let us know what kinds of settings you use to print them!
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this Thing
Customizable Tree by thingiverse is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving thingiverse a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure thingiverse would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).