by dustinandrews, published
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
Gearbugs are toys built from gears. Gearbug #2 a planetary gear system built to be turned by hand. Oddly addicting to sit and turn. Requires a single M3x12 bolt and nut. You can see what it looks like in action here: http://authenticinvention.com/images/gearbug/GearBug2sm.gif
- Cut out all the parts with a laser cutter from 1/8th inch MDF or plywood. The file is in Inkscape format. I cut black first, then blue then red.
- Glue the big ring to the back. Make sure to line it up exactly.
- Using the bolt as a giude, glue the sun gear to the handle. Make sure the radial holes line up.
- wait for the wood glue to dry. You don't want to glue the plaentary gears to anything by mistake.
- Put the bolt up through the bottom.
- Line up the three planet gears around the outside spaced evenly.
- gently lower the handle and sun into the middle.
- put some thread locking compound on a nut and thread it on. It need to be flush with the top of the screw. Not too tight, not too loose.
- wipe off excess locking compound and let the glue dry before turning the handle.
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse Apps
Gearbug #2 by dustinandrews is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is not allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving dustinandrews a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure dustinandrews would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).