UPDATE 21. Sep 2018
I love how this is turning into a team effort.
Janis Rocans was so kind as to share his update to the electronics cover that fit the newer boards for the 10S. He also included a picture and the actual Fusion file as well.
He also has a very interesting case/stand for a raspberry PI with 5 inch touch screen. Check it out here
UPDATE 16. Sep 2018
Many thanks to Scott Lahteine for remixing and sharing parts to support the 10S display. Check out his other models here.
Scott has some really interesting designs, and great updates to both the Creality and Prusa I3 printers.
NOTE It's been reported that my design may not fit newer CR10 control boards and displayes, but is reported to work with CR10 mini.
See comments for feedback.
To that end, I've added the Fusion360 design files, so that you can update and modify the design to fit your specific CR10 model.
Inspired by https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2747280, I set out to make my own version of integrating the control box electronics and power supply.
This kit includes:
- remodeled feet with integrated power connector and mount for squash ball for vibration dampening
- mounting plate for power supply and mosfet with cooling fan
- mounting plate for Melzi control board with integrated wire management and cooling fan
- mount for navigator plugs from the stock wire harness
- SD card slot moved to the front of the printer just below the control panel, and features a full size SD Card Reader, readily available from Amazon.
- case and mount for the control display, and new display cable from Amazon
(update April 1, 2018)
Added STL for spool holder.
(update April 13, 2018)
Adding cover plate for the remaining area of the printer, which includes:
- a cover plate with integrated mount for power supply
- a cover plate for mounting an Raspberry PI
- blank cover plate to cover the remaining area
Total cost of conversion is about $20 plus filament.
Original wires are used except for wires from the switch and power receptacle to the power supply. The ribbon cable to the display was also replaced. I re-purposed the original connectors from the ribbon cable, simply transferred them over to a new and longer ribbon cable.
You may need to lengthen the wires to the fans as well.
The stock wire harness that originally connected the control box to the printer is unchanged. The extra length of some of the wires are managed by the integrated wire management loops below the Melzi board.
The Melzi board is raised off the mounting plate allowing routing of wires underneath the Melzi board. Making a cleaner looking implementation, and free airflow over the stepper drivers.
I designed the cover plates to primary use M3 hardware for mounting the boards, and M5 for mounting the plates to the extrusion.
- M3 x 8 for the mosfet
- M3 x 12 for the control board
- M3 x 10 for the raspberry PI (yes, I enlarged the M2.5 holes in Raspberry PI to M3)
- M5 x 10 for mounting the cover plates to the extrusion
The end product is a nice, clean looking, and fully integrated printer. Gone is the umbilical cord, and the clunky control box.
This change could expose live mains voltage wires and terminals.
While the leg with integrated power connections have some shielding, it will not prevent users from reaching and touching wire terminals.
Should someone reach underneath the printer, it is conceivable that they could access live mains voltage terminals.
It is recommended to take additional safety measures.