NOTE: Does not extrude nor contain dwarves!
I wanted to try out the 1:50 geared stepper from 2Engineers / TrinityLabs on a 3mm extruder and, after a bit of search through existing offerings, decided to roll my own.
It's based off of ChemaFuji's Wade Reloaded modified for the same stepper and i3, but with some modifications...
- the i3 specific features are gone
- the extruder base has been stripped down to minimum possible size
- the filament hole has a conical mouth to enable easier filament loading (no snags with extremely curved filament)
- the stepper is supported with the widening around the shaft base via the appropriate hole on the back face of the extruder, not just the 2 bolts
- the extruder cavity is dimensioned to accept a 625 bearing (commonly used in Makerslide V-Wheels) so the stepper shaft isn't radially loaded anymore and the gearbox lasts longer
- built-in groovemount clamp (eliminating the need for a mounting plate)
- taller idler block (to avoid bolt slippage)
- tweaked idler block mounting distance (see above)
- sideways mounting version (for Bowden setups - although i'm not sure if this stepper is appropriate, due to low retraction speed)
Please excuse the messy SCAD.
It's only going to get messier :P
- same as for a regular Wade/Greg, minus hobbed bolt / gear parts
- 625 bearing
- 2engineers.com or trinitylabs.com 1:50 geared stepper
- appropriate filament pulley for 3mm filament
- 2x M3x24 or longer bolts
- 2x M3 washers
- 2x M3 nuts
- prosciutto & rucola sandwich
- tabasco or sriracha (season according to taste)
- freshly brewed espresso