Working in teams, students will design a vehicle based on their understanding of fluid dynamics, which will travel fastest to the bottom of a water-filled tub.
Overview and Background
Its a RACE! The student will need to design an object which, when filled with a highly dense material, will sink fastest to the bottom of a water-filled tub.
Lesson Plan and Activity
After learning about fluid dynamics and resistance factors, in groups of 3, students will need to design an structure which will travel with the least resistance to the bottom of a water-filled tub.
- The students will each design an object using paper and pencil.
- In groups of 3, students will discuss their designs and the reason for them.
- Students will design a new structure taking into account all ideas discovered from each members group designs.
- Students will then design the object in TinkerCad, with the understanding there must be a place to hold highly dense "shot" to allow the object to sink.
- Once completed, students will submit their objects to be printed.
- Once printed the object will be filled with highly dense "shot" in order to allow the object to sink.
- Students will time how long it takes the object to sink.
highly dense "shot" for added weight
- critical thinking
- fluid dynamics