IR Beam Break Sensor Mounts
These mounts are designed to work with the Adafruit 2167 3mm beam break sensor or the Adafruit 2168 5mm beam break sensor.
The two-wire module is the IR LED and the three-wire module is the sensor.
Red wires connect to operating voltage, either 5v or 3.3v.
Black wires connect to ground.
White wire connects to the input port.
- When the beam is un-broken, the white wire will be at a logic high level. (close to operating voltage)
- When the beam is broken, the white wire will be at a logic low level. (close to ground)
Left and right mounts are mirror images of each other.
The LED and sensor modules will easily snap into either one.
This particular set of mounts was designed for use in a skeeball game.
You can protect the sensors and wires from bouncing balls using 1/2" x 1/2" C-channel aluminum.
- The mounts fit inside the C-channel.
- Mount on the back of the playfield.
- Position so the mounts are parallel and the IR beam passes through the center of the target hole.
- Put the open side of the "C" toward the back of the playfield.
- Cut a notch in the side of the aluminum so the LED and sensor can see each other.
For ease of maintenance, I suggest using #8-32 x 1" machine screws and #8-32 threaded inserts.
The threaded inserts allow you to remove and replace the mount without stripping the screw holes.
This is especially important if you are working with Medium Density Fiberboard since screw threads break MDF down to pulp so easily.
SCAD files included so you can easily modify the mounts to work with your project.