update: it is never done! made the pivoting outriger base stronger. it no longer pivots but it should support a higher load. took some pictures of a larger sail set up. added a regular cleat that fits on 3/4th inch pvc pipe and a sheet guide eye for those that like or need organised sheets. i used 3/16ths braided nylon rope for the larger sail. i anchored the sail to the mast and boom with a series of half hitches and bowline knots (i also ran the rope through the pivot point conecting the two) then and the remander of the rope through the mast pully and back down through the loops made by the bowlines to the cleat.
Update: added a final assembly file just to have a reference till i take more pictures. (good luck viewing the file on here) till then i'm going to call this done. comment if a part fails or you have suggestions, i might fix it! [insert "it_is_done".gif here]
Update: rounded off a lot of edges (it just looks better to me) and added files for a way to attach the beam to the mast. both a solid and folding version.
side note; 90% of the things i've made for this are designed to be attached with rope. the only places rope isn't used is where the holes have a chamfer instead of a fillet. though in many of those places you could just as easily use screws or bolts.
update: finally got around to making a sailing clam cleat for the genoa so i can stop using my foot to pin the sheet against the molded depression.
update: new sail base files better suited to a 90` angle mainsail without cracking but still allowing the mainsail to fold down. added channel to the bottom of the sail base for those of you that don't have it molded into your water craft. i've been using 3/4" pvc so that's what i've been designing around.
Update: new files for a main sail pully to allow the main sail to reef, a sort of removable outrigger mount that needs teasting still, and an edited version of the sail mount better suited to being rope mounted. making a new sail from a stronger material.
Update: added a Genoa and edited the sail much faster sailing despite being only 15lbs away from the weight limit on my kayak. Next step, close hulled outrigers to pick the yak up out of the water a bit and keel boards to stop it from drifting sideways so much. Mounting plate and folding outriger mounts on hold till I have access to a 3D printer once again.
recently decided to attach a sail to my CK 100 kayak. i wanted a sail that would fold down or fit in the molded depression if need be so i had to design a sail foot that would allow that. then i needed pully's and found a great soft mount design by https://www.thingiverse.com/Printerforever but the maker bot Z18 didn't recognize the file so i had to make my own which needs to be sanded on the edge a smidge to get the friction fit shaft to fit (I printed mine at 50% scale). I'm using the rope tensioner by https://www.thingiverse.com/WRonX to adjust the sheets when needed. im also using the cord holder by https://www.thingiverse.com/mistertech to hold the sail up. finally i'm using 6 mm thick plywood to mount everything in place and ratcheting it all down with some spare cloths line and a taut-line hitch. this isn't an entirely necessary step as the sail foot is strong enugh to be mounted to your kayak with just rope as seen above. the sail pictured is just a temp to make sure it all works properly.
i used 10 shells which is probably enugh to handle the forces on its own but i figured id rather go overboard than replace a part.