For full printing and assembly instructions.
The instructions are very much a work in progress, so please be patient. The model is complete and can be printed and assembled as it is in the files folder. The instructions are, however, quite compact. Hopefully I can expand on it with some pictures over time.
The one-manifold original model i used as a basis has been extensively re-done (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:898956 ) - essentially the only part that survived is the fuselage. The landing gear, wings and struts were all re-designed as part of the process.
The snoopy models ive re-mixed just to fit them into the cabin. You may need to scale them a bit smaller to fit them. You can go pilot-less or pick a different pilot altogether. Nobody is going to mind if you have a Darth Vader flying your camel...
Before you start printing please note that this is an ambitious project. It will use a lot of your filament and time! BUT very rewarding to see the model materialize. Take care to choose the correct parts that you want, because this model has several parts where you can choose different ways to achieve the same result.
My current model, fully assembled, without any electronics, weights in at 1300g. This is less than I thought it might be, but more than I was hoping for. So I may change a few things, BUT having said that, many of the stls that I print with 1/2 bottom layers can be printed with no bottom layers, which will make the model a lot lighter. You will have to decide what is important to you. If it ends up at 1600g with the electronics and battery, one will have to ensure you get an engine that is strong enough to provide thrust for that amount of weight.
.25 or .2 with a .4mm head
Most of this model is printed with a single wall, and no top/bottom layers. I use bottom layers for extra firmness in some parts, but that does make the model heavier.
For wing sections you want the the seam on the trailing edge.
See the blog/page
For per-item details
I started with the manifold model (see attribution card). But I wanted wings with more lift than the original, and most o the struts/wingparts were not usable.
So I retained the fuselage, and set to work designing wings.
Originally I wanted a 1/10 model, but in the end it turned out about 1/8, which is quite large.
Wingspan is 120cm
I had to figure out quite a few things within Blender (which I have been using for a few years, but never for a project of this magnitude.
All the model parts are mostly clean manifold models. This allows the internal 'ribs' to be printed properly, since they are actually very thin 'tubes' that connect to the outside of the model - this the outside skin extend 'into' the model. Since most printers/slicers print to OUTSIDE accuracy, this means the ribbing gap of .1mm or less is actually retained. The challenge is on the inside. One needs to leave a 0.5mm gap for the extruder lines to touch, but not over-bleed into each other. This becomes a challenge, and there are areas in the model where this could probably be adjusted a bit more. Since I mostly dont print the top layer, those skins do not matter, but the mode still needs to be manifold in order for the slicer to not get confused. The internal ribs in the wings took the most time.
This 0.5mm gap inside the model between the ribs and skin, is the main reason why the mdoel cannot be scaled by too much. My next step is to try and print an 80% model, which would be a 1/10 model and probably easier to work with - and may be a littlebit lighter.