This is my new X-Carriage Hot end for my Hypercube Evolution. I'm using a piezo disk in the carriage like in Pumpal's design https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2801604. But I didn't like how big the X-Carriage became so i redesigned it.
I'm using the Precision Piezo Piezo20 module and a 27mm disk.
My design principles:
- use of Piezo in carriage so no separate piezo in tools
- keep ability to change tools
- as compact as possible
- use standard e3d cables and connectors
- one fixed cable from carriage to back. Connectors on carriage.
- 10mm carbon rod & Igus bearings
For a adjustable dual hot-end mount see https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2990907
Most parts are being connected by 3mm screws and brass inserts. The the end stops and the Piezo20 are mounted with 2mm self-tapping screws.
Some parts are glued with super glue.
- The x-carriage-piezo ring onto the X-Carriage-10mm… there is a 1mm hole in both parts you can use to align them with a short 1mm pin
- The X-Carriage-Fan-holder-2 on X-Carriage-Fan-holder-1. This has been done to make both parts printable without supports in the duct.
- Fan-Duct in 4 parts. Part 1 is the bottom, you need to glue parts 2-4 on top.
- Currently printing the parts :-)
- replaced x-carriage-piezo en main part as the outside parts of the hinge where to thin to print :-)
- new Fan-Duct in 4 parts for easy printing
- corrected main x-cariage part (seems i uploaded an old version :-( )
- some small changes on fan-duct
- still printing or to be honnest not printing. One of the bearings of my titan extruder broke. Will get a replacement very soon from E3D, so need to wait to print my last part.....
- Printing again :-) very fast service from E3D. Also uploaded the Inventor part files.
- changed from 3x12 dowel pins to 4x6 dowel pins as this enables thinner parts.
- Finaly receivedd my Ingus bushings. First impresion is that there is to much room between bushing and carbon rod. Slightly better with the original Steel rod. Have to do some exdperiementing with that.
- On request added a version for 10mm linear bearings. Also a new Hinge as this version is 5mm larger on the bottom. Will also need a new fan duct, still on the To-Do.
- added a first LM8UU version. Will look later if i can make it a bit smaller but will work for now with then same Hinge as the LM10UU version. will make a new fan duct this weekend.
- have everything printed. As usual the last part was the hardest. I did run out of the Real PETG filament i was using. Tried to print the last part with an other brand of filament but found out there is a big quality difference. It got stick in my bowden tube as it diameter was not consistent ....
- added the brass inserts (sorry i like them as it is easier then creating precise slots for nuts ... and i have a very good soldering iron to insert them...) will assemble the carriage tomorrow.
- update files for x-carriage with feedback from Pumpal and renamed them to make clear which bearing/axis they are for. Also added a version of the igus1012 with extra support for printing as i had some warping issues.
- sorry some delays. First of all we had a record heat for a few days , and as my printer and hobby room is at the attic is was literally to hot to work there 40C+...
- upgrading my printer i also found out that some of the lower z-rod clamps where broken... had to find a temp fix for those until i can print new ones ...
- New x-carriage is in place with carbon rods and new bigger xy-joiners. Belts fixed again to carriage (pffff)... Build plate moved 2cm to the font (from center position), added 3rd z-motor and Duex2 and cleaning up the cabling.
- Its working now :-) Did a quick calibration and now printing replacement lower z-rod holders as i found out the current ones where broken.
- The piezo z-sensor is working perfect , very happy with it.
- not satisfied on the Igus bearings there is to much room between Carbon rod and bearing. Will try if a length wise cut in the bearing will work ....
- having used the new set-up for a while. Did a change/upgrade on my printer and quite satisfied so far. Only issue was that the bearing where a bit to large for the rods. I made a slot in the top bearing and they are now keeping the rod in place without extra movement. Will update the 2 bottem bearings asap. Need still some tweaking on the setup in S3D but mostly on extruding etc. like the quelity and speed so far.
- updated the files with latest versions. Will update the variants with other bearings in the next days.
- Will add the fan duct in a new design today after the glue is dry :-).
view and exploded views are not 100% current but show how it fits together. will update them when i make project final.
- Assemble the carriage (done)
- test with carbon rod (done)
- test with cut in bearings (done) is much better :-)
- test with steel rod
- test fan duckt
- make fan duct for 10mm Bearing version
- make fan duct for Titan direct feed version
- make new exploded view
- upload final files :-) (partly done)
Printed in PETG
x-carriage-piezo: printed above 5,6mm with 60% infill.