Loading
TheRooster

Modular Dungeon Walls

by TheRooster May 5, 2010
Download All Files

Thing Apps Enabled

Please Login to Comment

I like the idea of spacing between tiles to make room for features. It's a good one. I did something similar with the tile set I uploaded, but only with exterior walls. I didn't think to extend it between the actual grid. Something for me to think about.

Looking at your example I'm a little concerned about stability. Not seeing much to hold those walls up if the table gets bumped. Also, in the past I've found really modular systems very slow when it come to building on the go. Great for pre-built set pieces but not so hot if it needs to be put tog
ether on game day itself. Any thoughts?

Okay, so the post and holes are probably not going to work with the makerbot. I have the hardest time making small holes! I think stability will also be an issue here as you pointed out. I'm thinking of a new way to make the wall and hopefully it will remove the need for the base piece altogether as well as fix the stability issue.

Stability might be an issue until the top pieces are placed. Although I designed the parts to interlock a bit so they should support each other. Once the cap pieces are placed the whole thing will be very stable. (As long as you don't tip it upside down) :)

I suppose if you had a really long wall with no other walls connected in the middle, there might be some stability issues. Maybe I should make a long wall (3 squares) with a single base on a side to give it stability. Hmmm, something to think about.

As for speed, I think most of the time is spe
nt looking for the "right" piece. My goal is to keep the total number of required pieces low so you never have to search for anything. There will be a bit of a trade off between having combo parts like a corner wall (or a T) or just using two (or three) single walls. I will provide both eventuall
y, and leave it up to the user to decide what they want to do.

That said, the one thing I don't really like is the individual base pieces. They are probably a pain to deal with. I would love to be able to make a big sheet of the base pegs, but I'm limited to the size of the Cupcake build platform
. So I could probably make a 4x4 grid of the base pieces at most. Maybe I should spend a little time and figure out how to make the base pieces interlock so you could quickly set up a nice large base.

I did mine in 2x2 sections due to the Makerbot constraints. The 10cm build platform means that you could barely do a (roughly) 4" object but that doesn't allow for any outside details or variance. 3" (7-8cm) objects would be quite doable and I considered trying to think up a system based around 3x3 tiles, but it doesn't work out very cleanly for things like corridors and intersections. So 2x2 it was.

If you come up with a way to easily interlock square sections I might just swipe it. The ones I considered either relied on needing snug connectors that would push the limits of the consistent repeatability of a Makerbot or else involved connecting joints that were printed right on, but that limit
s what orientations pieces can be attached to each other.

of course my design had the advantage of having each section stand-alone so there is less need to brace against other pieces or slippage.

If you think of something better I suspect it will get copied far and wide.